Fun Cub Undercarriage

Tony Smith 7

Hi,

The wire undercarriage on my Fun Cub is getting weak, and becoming a bit of a pain. What happens is that each takeoff or landing the legs bend back a little, and splay a little and also bend so that the wheels toe out a little as well. I was wondering if others have found the same, and what solutions people have come up with.

As a first fix I've fitted rubber bands as diagonal bracing to resist the splaying out, and that 's helped, however I think the need something to provide fore and aft support as well.

The problem is that there's no strong point other than the original gear mounting, so I wanted to trawl for ideas before starting out myself since there'll need to be some irreversible changes.

Thanks, Tony S

Advert

I've had the same problem. All I've done is to solder a brace between the legs but I haven't been able to test it in anger. I can always take it off if it doesn't work.

I also have a Tundra and I wonder if the undercarriage off that could be made to fit a Fun Cub. The spares are quite cheap.

Geoff

Tony and Geoff,

This is how I did mine, although it has sine been tweaked a bit. It's my second FC and I did a similar thing to the first.

I do realise that it may be a bit radical given that your models are already built, but if it helps you to generate some ideas then great.

I think someone over on RCG had plans to use the Tundra UC so that may be worth checking out.

fc5 copy.jpg

fc6 copy.jpg

fc7 copy.jpg

fc8 copy.jpg

fc9 copy.jpg

fc10 copy.jpg

fc11 copy.jpg

fc12 copy.jpg

fc14 copy.jpg

This is the final result.

fc43 copy.jpg

Steve.

Cheers. What sort of steel did you use? I'm not really a metal worker but it seems to me that anything maleable enough to form into that shape isn't going to act as a proper spring, unless annealed first and then hardened and tempered which is all a bit beyond me. However I take it that yours works?

By the way, why shorter than stock?  

Edited By Tony Smith 7 on 29/02/2016 16:29:37

Hi Tony,

I used 3mm piano wire which I bought from my local model shop. It was just bent cold using a very small machine vice, a hammer, many attempts to get it right, and lots of profanities along the way!

Shorter than stock because the UC is moved back by about 40mm which raises the nose as a result. Also, the tail wheel is half the diameter of the stock wheel which would exagerate it further still.

Steve.