fitting a new ESC in a Quanum Nova

christopher small

Advert

Banggood supply the ESC (select the colour required) at $14.99 delivered, although it takes a couple of weeks to arrive. HK have the red one listed, although it's only in the International Warehouse, costs a little more and there's postage to add.

Easy enough with a small iron, the only soldering on the board is for the three motor wires.

It might not need calibrating - check first if all motors start at the same time. If not, there is an APM calibration procedure which is quite straightforward.

Pete

Yes they are in China but they also have a Europe depot, although it rarely stocks much of interest to us. I've found they take up to a week to dispatch a purchase, so patience is a virtue. I'm not aware of any other supplier - others may be able to help.

This page may help re calibration, if necessary.

Pete

There is also a HUGE thread on rc groups about the cx-20 which is the same as the Nova. .. I learnt a lot from it and now have so many mods on mine it amazes me that it still flies!

There is custom firmware to to keep it up to date without loosing the telemetry from the apm controller

Great expandable bit of kit ... mine now has 3dr wireless telemetry, retracts, brushless gimbal, 2 cameras with video switcher (one on the gimbal and one fixed for FPV, battery monitoring, full telemetry to a Taranis with the LUA scripts for display via a teensy on board, HUD via a minim osd, 8 flight modes via the Taranis. .. i love it - LOL!

I am modellermark on there if you want to search my posts and modellermark2 on YouTube to see a few of my early flights. .. do set your anglemax to 35 ....It makes a world of difference

Hi Mark,I am new to all this with Quadcopters,Have flown the Nova briefly back in October before the rains came,not calibrated anything yet.

When I fit the new ESC will I need to calibrate it,I have the white Tx that came with it.

Yours sounds very impressive,I would be very pleased just to get mine working.

I will certainly check your posts out on rc groups and you tube

She is fine as she comes stock apart from the maximum angle that was set as 20 degrees by default.

That 20 degrees meant any sort of breeze can blow it away ... my "wont come home" video shows that. ..a change to 35 made a huge difference (via mission planner) and she was a treat to fly after that.

The white tx is good for about 300m and the older one doesn't reconnect if it goes into failsafe / out of range so make sure you have a good gps lock before taking off as it will "return to china" if not surprise

After my first fpv that went out of range i was left watching her do her own thing all the way back .... fortunately she landed within about a foot of the take off point but i changed to the Taranis after that

Of course these days you wouldn't be able to fly that far with all the regulations anyway

Good luck and enjoy

I've been enjoying my Nova since Xmas, firstly adding a Q-2D gimbal for my HK Actioncam and latterly the Gitup Git2 cam - amazing performance for its price! I've also put the Quanum retract set on the Nova and increased the prop size from 8045 to 9443, which was when my problems began.....

It's suddenly become very susceptible to the the vortex ring effect and I'm now on my second bodyshell. I reduced PILOT_VELZ_MAX from 250 to 100, LAND-SPEED to 30 but neither has made any difference. Even in forward flight it can commence pitching, so I'm not sure it's entirely due to VR. I suspect the change in prop size may have had an effect but I've read nothing on the Web (and I've looked, oh, how I've looked....smile) about anyone changing parameters when they increase the prop size.

IMU vibration graphs show values of <2 so I don't think that's the cause.

I've now reverted to the original spec - no cam, fixed u/c and 8045 props - and flown it today without any problems.

Your Nova seems to be well-loaded, Mark - have you encountered this VR issue at all?

I stll have ANGLE_MAX at 2200, although I've been tempted to try it at 3500 for the reasons you mention. I'm wondering if this could improve or worsen my issue?

Pete

Hi Mark,Looks like I may have to go on to Mission Planner,do I connect a lead from the Nova to my computer and then am I able to calibrate it on my computer? or do I still need to do the short 20 second flight and then go 3-5 turns horizontal and 3-5 turns nose down?.Resetting the angle from 20 to 35 degrees looks a good idea ,once they get downwind of you theyre gone.Can I do that in Mission Planner?

White Tx good fo 300 meters is fine for me,50 meters is far enough,GPS lock that's back to calibration I believe, not done that yet,can`t switch Tx on within 5 secs of connecting battery,OR is there an easier way?

What is Tarannis?

When the ESC went (if it has gone)it only tipped over 2-4 inches off the ground and the motor cut out and never worked since,wiring looks fine motor seems ok (continuity test) is there any way of testing the ESC?

The ESC I ordered was an exact match,which is why I ordered it,but anything could turn up.

Chris

Pete .. angle max makes a world of difference believe me ... pilot velz only has affect in certain flight modes if i remember correctly so i have never changed it.

The props makes a big difference, as does weight. I suspect that extra weight overloads the escs and as the battery runs down they give up a bit...maybe as they overheat. ..and you get that drop. As it rides its own prop wash you get the "wobble of death" ... one of my videos on YT shows one .. it suddenly recovered a foot or so from some rocks.

I have had little success with CF props but standard QR X350 PRO props from Banggood are my current choice. A decent battery also seems to make a difference.

Chris. ... mission planner is essential. .. don't accept a firmware upgrade and don't run the calibration wizard. . ..just do all calibrations one at a time ... use a really long usb cable, preferably taped to the quad so it doesn't move as you calibrate. I have never done the inflight calibration but have setup auto-tune as a flight mode ready for fine tuning later.

GPS lock comes from leaving it on the ground until you get a solid green light .. you can't tell just how good that is without telemetry ..or take the laptop outside and leave it plugged in just to see the status.

The full parameters section in mission planner has the angle_max value. .. change from 2200 to 3500

You could try swapping the esc with the one opposite ...just in case the board is at fault

Taranis is a radio system .. open source software ... you need to be a bit techy but wonderful once you get to grips with it ... i get 16 channels to play with and all setup on the pc ... speach too so i know what each switch does. ...

I'll take my hat off to you if you've managed to fly the Nova without the benefit of Mission Planner, Chrissmile

Absolutely indispensable, I'd say - indeed, my first tentative hop went very badly wrong due to it having arrived with a laterally-reversed compass setting in the original parameters. Before you get to the auto-trim stage, you should follow the 'Mandatory Hardware' sequence of checks and settings in MP - but I wouldn't use the 'Wizard' as that encourages you to update the firmware and that's the last thing you want to do with the Nova. The Nova's firmware is not quite the same as the generic APM 2.6. Follow the instructions for each of the hardware settings meticulously.

Until you have the compass setting and all calibrations correct, any attempt to use a GPS-required mode will go badly.

I'm using a DX9 Tx but understand that the supplied Tx has some different procedures which you should follow.

I would balance all the props, too - any vibration can affect the accelerometers and cause problems.

Taranis is a very capable Tx from Frsky - there's a few enthusiasts floating around here....wink 2

If the motor is OK, I'd just swap out the ESC as you'll need to remove the ESC to test it with another motor anyway - that's a bit of a faff as you'll probably need to solder bullets to connect it to another motor if you have one.

Pete

One thing i did notice is that keeping moving helps as well as changing modes.

There us also a throttle trim value that the apm calculates itself ... setting the throttle mid value to that works great as it compensates for the extra weight of the camera etc

I need to look in mission planner to get the right value names but they are something like that. ... it should be 500 by design (unloaded ) but mine went to over 700 fully-loaded .. very bad surprise

Helps avoid prop wash when changing flight mode

I have downloaded Mission Planner What do I do next?

My esc has arrived so all ready to go now hope to have it going by Easter,will test the old one with a spare receiver battery and motor,lots of spares here,will test motor as well.

Pete,12 months ago I bought a Syma x5c so I am well used to flying quadcopters,wish I was better at it,once they get downwind of you theyre gone,I always fly into wind.

I must balance my props,especially on my planes,got a ballencer but must get a decent one.

I'd start by watching this video from Painless360. The early part of the video, which should be watched for general info about the software, includes installing firmware for the APM2.6 - you do not want to do this - and don't accept any prompt from the software to update it either!

As I mentioned earlier, don't use the wizard as that will update your firmware but use the 'Mandatory Hardware' menu.

He goes through the Mandatory hardware procedures and that should cover most of what you need to know to get familiar with it.

Once you have plugged the min-USB lead into the underside of the Nova and have connected it to MP, it's important to not inadvertently pull the plug - if you do, that could create problems. I tape the USB to the nearest leg to prevent this happening. This is essential when you are doing the compass and accelerometer calibrations.

Flying upwind is good practice with most models - we've all been there.....wink 2

Pete

Yes, Chris, just set the Nova in the attitude requested by the program. The FC is facing forwards, of course. I've kept the foam inserts from the packaging and they make a handy support for the arms when you need to invert the quad for calibration or maintenance - that keeps the compass puck off the deck.

Once you've done the compass calibration, go to the flight data page. You should be able to see the compass heading and attitude of the quad moving when you manipulate it. Point the quad towards each of the compass points that you know are correct and make sure that the direction you are pointing matches that shown on the HUD. I failed to do this before my first flight and it set off towards some place north of here. I found that it was incorrectly set and didn't know its west from east....

Pete.

No, once it's set up like that, you're good to go. If you were moving a few hundred miles between sites you might need to re-calibrate the compss but that's unlikely!

You'll only need access to the laptop to download flight logs or change parameters.

Pete

As it is a new ESC i am thinking that you wanted to calibrate that to match the others.

I have never done that myself but this video shows how it is done on the cx-20 which is pretty much the same thing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PtYWjsbsCwA

You still need to do the APM calibrations, not forgetting the radio too ...including moving both switches to calibrate the flight modes too.

If you move between fields a lot then just give it plenty of time to get its bearing before the first flight.

It is sometimes worth powering it up, leaving it for a few minutes then unplug and plug again. This seems to help it get a fix and identify where in the world it is. ... too soon and any problem would have its return to home actually try to return to your previous field / home.

An angle_max of 3500 will definitely stop it blowing away in the wind

Good luck