fitting a new ESC in a Quanum Nova

christopher small

Thanks Pete,I was told to calibrate for every launch site,this is the calibration you do by turning in circles etc ,hadn`t heard of mission planner till this week.Thats good set it up and go. What can the flight logs tell you?

Hi Mark,will watch the video on calibrating the ESC later,but if the motors all start up together then that's ok I believe. I shall make sure it gets a fix on where it is,don`t want it returning to the last field which could be 5 miles away,and an angle of 3500 to stop it blowing away sounds good to me.

Advert

I haven't heard of calibrating for every launch site. The important thing is to ensure that, before launch, you give the GPS enough time to acquire sufficient sats to give an HDOp of <2.

To ensure all is good to go, with Loiter and Stabilise Mode settings on the Tx, put the Tx switches to Loiter Mode and try to arm the quad. If it does not, then you do not have a satisfactory GPS fix. This should already be set in the Pre-Arm parameters on the Nova.

You can usually arm the quad in Stabilise Mode fairly quickly and fly but you may not have a good enough fix if you go to a GPS-assisted mode. I now make a point of not flying until I can arm in Loiter Mode.

The flight logs can tell you everything you need to know about how the quad is performing but I have to say interpreting the graphs can be a bit of a head-scratcher. It records (depending on how it's configured) position data, mode changes, stick inputs etc, and possibly most important vibration levels if you set IMU to be recorded (958:Default+IMU in the parameters). That's useful to know as an unbalanced prop can affect the flight quite severely.

There's a lot to learn, that's for sure. Your bible should be the Arducopter Site - it's got most of what you need to know buried somewhere within...thumbs up

Pete

This is where i learnt the most ... starts with the very first version that didn't even have a USB socket

**LINK**

I started when it was at about 200 pages and read it all probably up to about page 500 as things developed

It is now at almost 4000 pages which i guess shows the popularity of this quad.

There are references / links in the thread to setting one up with your own radio, the Taranis / teensy stuff and things like that. ... and lots of chances to learn by others mistakes. .. but 4000 pages is way too much for me now.

Hope all goes well with the setup

You need to connect the quad to MP first. Plug your USB lead into the underside of the Nova. The lights and alarm should start - you can silence the alarm by connecting a 3S Lipo flight pack. Up in the top right hand corner, you will see a drop-down list labelled 'COM'. Click on the down arrow and you should see the unit listed. Select that and click on the 'connect' symbol.

It should put up a small box showing the connection being made.

Once it's connected, click on Initial Setup and you should see 'Mandatory Hardware' in the left column.

If you have problems connecting the quad, we'll have a look at the options - it can be a bit long-winded. Hopefully you won't...smile

Pete

I have looked at a few but this video seems to do things correctly so hopefully will help

**LINK**

Covers radio, compass and accelerometer calibration

Any questions just ask ... really only takes 20 minutes or so but i can't stress enough the importance of a long usb lead and making sure it stays in place throughout.

Also use the "disconnect" button when you are finished

Start off with it pointing as near north as you can to start calibration. You just then need to rotate it in all directions. I make sure the USB plug is taped to the leg so it won't come out, then hold it in front of me and rotate it through all attitudes, trying to catch the white dots. Keep going and once you've hit all the dots, it should stop accepting data and put up a box to say the calibration is complete and list the offsets. I've never made a point of ensuring it faces north on each turn.

You can verify that it's working by returning to the flight data screen and viewing the HUD. At the top of the screen you will see the bearing the model is facing. If that accords with your knowledge of where N, S, E and W is from your location it should be fine.

Pete

To be on the safe side pop the top off the puck and make sure the compass is secure and square to the quad.

Make sure you do it all away from magnetic things like speakers and metal items. ..outside, just you and a laptop is good wink

Dont over worry about the dots just turn as much as you can and get as many dots as possible.

Once done make sure you check it against known directions in case it is reversed

Have done my compass calibration, checked it on flight data screen HUD all 4 points of compass seem ok,should I have clicked on APM external compass?or Live calibration?

Also done Accelerometer and radio calibration ,I suppose the only way to see if I have done it properly is to try the GPS modes return to home ,stable etc.

Chris

I click on the 'APM and External Compass' button and then 'Live Calibration'. If your compass seems to be pointing in the right direction, I would expect it to be OK.

Worth setting up failsafe, too. I set it to RTL for all eventualities.

Off out to a village quiz now - back later....

Pete

Thanks to you and Pete I am almost there,I haven`t done the flight modes,I presume they will be the same as on the top of the White Nova Tx.All I need to do now is the FailSafe for RTL ,how easy is that to do ?and a decent day tomorrow,But it looks like being wet and windy again,and most of next week,weather is always bad when the clocks go forward.