1/5th scale Hawker Hunter in Depron

My final decision on what to build is a 1/5th scale Hawker Hunter in Depron.

Not much going on at the moment, just printed a load of tiled sheets, stuck them all together and upscaled the formers so far onto a roll of brown paper. Was going to use lining paper but couldn't be bothered going to B&Q to get some, so having a 10m roll of brown should be ok.

She will be about 6.5 feet wing span and a tad over 8 feet long! I'll design the typical nose off section for housing the battery and electronics area. Might go simple mechanical retracts or as I did with the Valiant hand launch and wheels slightly protruding from the keel for landing. The reason being is that she will be a pusher prop, so rotation will be an issue, if not THE only deciding factor. I might even incorporate a sprung nose hook for bungie launch in case she is too heavy to throw, but I'm hoping for around 6-7lb AUW or less.

She'll run on 5s with a 100A OPTO ESC. Might incorporate a few little trick bits if I can be bothered lol. I'm hoping to get the fuz scaled up over the next 3 days and fingers crossed get to cut some foam from Monday onwards, as I have 4 rest days then.

It feels good to be getting back into building, lets see how I feel in a few weeks lol I hope to upload plenty of photos along the way, and feel free to grab a brew and a biscuit or two and join me!

A big one indeed, and the target weight is very impressive. I've retrospectively gone back through quite a few of the hugely inspirational depron build blogs on here, and will be closely following this one step by step. Stuff likes this gives the rest of us the impetus to believe we might be able to try it for ourselves. One day .......

Watching thumbs up

Thanks chaps. Vodka, beer, tea whatever I don't mind 😊 in regards to the weight I reckon that is doable, there won't be a lot inside her and there will be plenty of coring done. The middle formers are 254mm across, but it looks like I'll need to add plenty more than the 13 drawn into the plans I got hold of. I'll cary on doing some more scaling later after I've had a sleep (just got in from work) when I'll be starting on drawing up the fuz crucifix. Too tired now and just had my night time meds so I don't want to mess anything up. One thing I was surprised with was the fact that there is no wing incidence on the main or the tail. Should I be putting some in?

OMG, I have just drawn out the fuz, and it comes in at 2.7 metres long, 8 and a half foot in old money! This is just too big I'm afraid guys, it won't fit in my car. It doesn't sound too bad but when you draw it out it is massive. Not sure it'll be hand launch!

Reality is I will have to bring this down to 1/7th scale, that is still 2 metres long which is probably more manageable. I hope I haven't lost any watchers, sorry guys.

Posted by Depron Daz on 01/04/2016 14:30:15:

OMG, I have just drawn out the fuz, and it comes in at 2.7 metres long, 8 and a half foot in old money! This is just too big I'm afraid guys, it won't fit in my car. It doesn't sound too bad but when you draw it out it is massive. Not sure it'll be hand launch!

Reality is I will have to bring this down to 1/7th scale, that is still 2 metres long which is probably more manageable. I hope I haven't lost any watchers, sorry guys.

Oh stop mucking about Daz.... do a 1:1 scale one..........

I've just had a really weird idea with this now that I've had to downsize it.......................EDF! I have a 90mm fan sitting idle. Will need to get a suitable motor but I have no idea about EDF's. The plan I'm working from is for a 50mm EDF and it is drawn in, but has no details about kit used.

Are there any hard and fast rules with using EDF in a model? I read somewhere about distances fore and aft of the fan, but have no idea how they are calculated. Can anyone advise please? If not I'll just stick with a pusher prop.

Depron Daz

There is nothing wrong with a Depron EDF particularly if you really make use of Depron's structural properties to keep the weight down.

The total duct length is significant as its surface drag will slow down the air stream so the object is to make it as smooth and as streamlined as possible.

The critical bit of any duct is the EDF's fan swept area (FSA).

The inlet duct needs to be at least the FSA or the fan gets 'starved'.at full power. The exhaust duct however can be gently 'squeezed' down to as much as 85% of the FSA to increase the exhaust air velocity.

Look forward to seeing this progress.

Thanks Simon and Shane.

That all sounds very complicated Simon. The model is 2m long and hoping for around 5-6lb weight, so not sure if a 90mm fan will be big enough anyway. A 120mm fan, motor/ESC is going to be costly, so will stay with the pusher I think.

Another day spent indoors waiting on a delivery that never arrived, so I guess i'll be stuck indoors again tomorrow expecting today's delivery! However, I managed to fully draw the fuz side profile and wing out, and only have the wing root area from the fuz left to draw (as if you are looking down on it), but this will just be a short section picking up the fuz formers that it will incorporate. Fortunately the fuz formers are completely round, so the fuz side profile will also be used to draw out the horizontal profile, and then I can "attach" the wing root so to speak.

I won't have any photos of the drawings, as they are on brown paper the pencil cannot be picked up by the camera, I have tried!

Evening all.

Finally started to cut some depron tonight after work. Had to stop because it was getting too cold out in the workshop, but is what we have so far:

Will get the battery tray worked out and fitted in tomorrow, and get the keel plate on as well hopefully. The plan said for 0 deg incidence but I have put in 2 deg.

Edited By Depron Daz on 09/04/2016 22:44:28

Hi Colin. Finally it begins. Due to my "condition" I have to keep my head warm, and even with a woolly hat and the heater on full, my workshop gets extremely cold, so once the sun goes down I don't have much time to be out there, otherwise I find I get flare ups.

I'll just crack on and do as much as I can when I can. I've never worked to a dead line, apart from Cosford a few years back with the Jaguar club meet and getting the Valiant done, as you know Think I was working on that until the small hours that morning lol.

Hi Daz,

Great to see you back in the build zone. I watched your other builds with great delight and will be watching and following this build.

Don't forget this is a hobby/enjoyment and not a race to build.

You take your time and enjoy your build.

I will follow and enjoy your build.

Best regards

Chris

Hi there Chris.

Absolutely mate, I have never rushed a build, and never will. All at my own pace. I like the challenge of these builds, as plans sometimes are just 3 views and have to be built as you go, and that's where I get my enjoyment from getting the ole grey matter going.

Glad you are on board, thanks