Computer help saving onto another drive help please

Robert Parker

Hi All,

I have just bought a new pc which is great running windows 7.

It has a hibrid drive which I asked for (although not sure what one was or how it worked but it sounded good). It has a 800Gb drive which windows has been installed and a 4Tb "D" drive.

I wanted to load all of my photographs (my other hobby) through windows my pictures. Problem is I have nearly 2Tb of photos.

My question is: is possible to load my photos onto the D drive and be able to access them through windows "Pictures". I am not the only user who access them.

The specs of my new pc are:

16Gb DDR4 memory

4TB SSHD Hybrid (8GB SSD)

512GB SSD SATA

Processor i7 - 6700k

Please keep your replied dimple I'm just a user not too much into the working of computers

Regards

Robert

Advert

Hi Robert,

No problem with access if you store your pictures on the D: drive (assume that is the 4TB Hybrid drive). It is very good practise to keep the 512 Gb SSD (C: drive) for the windows installation and other key programs and not data storage.

A bit surprised that the PC (if new) has been delivered with Windows 7. Would expect it to come with Windows 10. Probably you have a free upgrade to that as part of the package. Windows 10 is in my experience stable and not too many problems but if Windows 7 works for you, no hurry to switch over.

Per

I have the same setup and its not hard to do but is hard to explain.

This video should help though although you can most likely ignore the part about bios settings as that will most likely be taken care of already

Edited By Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 21/04/2016 20:41:43

Hi Both,

Rich2, Thanks for that did not really want to go to that amount though.

Norrland, I am OK to access my pictures from the D drive but I know this may sound a bit simple but when downloading from my SD card it goes straight to my pictures in windows on the C drive. Is there a way to tell them to go the D drive?

My other issue will be to explain to my wife how to do it and not the way she has always done (does not like change),so if there is a way for windows to send the to the D drive it would be easier on me, the kids no problem they will adapt.

I had thought about replacing the hard drive for a conventional one, this would have been my preferred option but the makers did not offer a large enough capacity hard drive.

I asked for windows 7 as I happy with it, did not take into account of all the updates to catch up on over 200 so far. I am considering the free upgrade to 10, should be less updates.

Regards

Robert

Posted by Robert Parker on 21/04/2016 20:48:27:

Norrland, I am OK to access my pictures from the D drive but I know this may sound a bit simple but when downloading from my SD card it goes straight to my pictures in windows on the C drive. Is there a way to tell them to go the D drive?

Watch the video! It explains this exactly

Hi Robert,

I'm not sure I understand your problem. Do you download your pictures from within a program (application)? If that is the case, there should be somewhere within the "Settings" a way to define the default download path. Maybe you have to create the tartget folder before downloading.

Personally I use Photoshop Elements and when downloading pictures I have the option to direct the files to a specific drive/folder. The other simple option is to just copy the files from the SD card and paste them into the applicable drive/folder.

Sorry that can't be of any more specific assistance.

Per

Hi Robert,

As i understand the situation with Windows 7 it is now no longer supported by Microsoft support but is ok to use for the next 5 years. My guess is no more updates or patches or online Microsoft support if you contact them. If you use your pc to purchase things online eBay etc you should get a good security system McAfee etc and that may require you to move to current version of windows, bit of a pain but to keep everything secure you need a version that is still current so you get access to all latest updates and patches.

I use McAfee and I think it's about £35 ish a year, keeps you safe when linked to any 'unsafe' web site and sorts viruses but the choice is yours there are plenty about.

Hope this helps,

Paul.

Hi

Please make sure you have a good backup policy, as I work in IT, I find plenty of people have mountains of pictures solely on a hard drive in pc, Having to tell people that all their pictures have gone when the drive died is not good.

Get a good external drive to back up onto and dont leave it plugged into pc as their are nasty malware programs that encrypt your data and ask for lots of dollars to recover the pictures etc.

Dont rely on Norton, Mcafee or similar because they dont stop you downloading dodgy malware.

Regards

Glenn

Thanks Glenn already do that, I too learnt the hard way. Lost all of my sons first six months photos and videos, she's nearly stopped going on about it, he's 10 years old soon.

John, yep all 45,000 of them, well at least that't how many files were downloading.

Thanks for all of your help guys

Regards

Robert

Hi guys,

Perhaps I was a little premature.

The above works well.

However, when I try to do the same for additional users they are saved to C drive.

What I have done on the D drive is I have created folders foe each of the users, each folder contains my pictures, my music and my documents.

When I add the "include folder" the path appears to be correct, but it saves in C.

Getting frustrated now I thought I'd cracked it

Regards

Robert

I have a network enabled hard drive, they are sub £100 now for 1TB or even 2TB at PCworld, Tesco etc. I plug mine into my Wi-Fi Router and put all of my Documents, PDFs, Photo's Video's etc. on the drive . I can access the files from my PC, Laptop, Tablet and Phone from anywhere and works a treat.

Steve B

Hi Steve,

Access issue is fine it's the downloading part that is getting to me.

When I insert an SD card for example I would like the photos to go to the D drive for each user.

I've got it to work for me but I cannot repeat the procedure for the other users both my wife and daughter both download photos.

Regards

Robert

Using my networked drive method you don't have to copy files to multiple D Drives everyone's files are held in one location. When setting up the central drive it will show up in your file explorer as a letter or a name. Once everyone has mapped the new drive to their device and given permission to read and write files it's a simple task then to drag and drop files or copy and paste files from anything SD Cards, Disks , camera's etc.

Hope this makes sense

Regards

Steve B