Help please with id

Hi I have today purchased a model airplane for my plane fan great nephew he absolutely loves planes he is 7 years old and this is a surprise for him,please can anyone help with identifying the make and model also the rough age of it,it's got a petrol engine fitted,although it won't be flown for now I'm sure in a few years time when he is older it will once again take to the sky's it needs a bit of work but we have got plenty of time to fettle with it,the guy we bought it off was a very nice chap but sadly didn't know the make or model of it so please any help with this would be fantastic and I'm sure we will be asking lots of questions re bringing it back to flying condition for now it's going to hang in my workshop from the rafters can't wait for him to see it when we see him next many thanks Paul

Advert

Hi right I'm not getting off to a good start here I can't seem to add photos of the airplane sorry,can anyone advise me how to do it as the good lady wife is out and she would be able to do it straight away but I'm afraid I'm not very good with computers cheers Paul

image.jpegHi I've managed to put the photos up although they are upside down,I today have reached a landmark with computers never before have I downloaded photos albeit upside down,well here goes,any help identifying the model we have will be fantastic,I believe the lettering on the plane is the guy who built it as there is an old sticker underneath with a name address and phone number cheers Paul image.jpeg

Hi many thanks Percy and John,absolutely no offence taken at all,what you have mentioned is exactly what I need to know,I've never flown a plane but I've owned a couple of glow start engined cars in the past,it is fitted with analogue solenoids so I don't know if they have to be changed,also I would like someone to have a look over it as well to make sure it would be safe to fly but to be honest this will be in the future as my great nephew is only 7 and we've bought it for him as he loves planes and it would be great when he is older to be able to fly it,as to clubs I don't know of any locally but I will definitely look at th BMFA website as it would be great to join a local club and go along and watch and talk to the pilots I really appreciate your help many thanks ps I should of said earlier it's 4ft 2" long and the wingspan is 6ft exactly,and again apologies for the upside down photos is there any way they can be put the right way up please many thanks Paul

Hi Paul, I'd echo everything Percy says. Visit/join a local club, have a read of the beginners guide on this forum and away you go. Most clubs will have instructors who can help you with your aircraft or a club trainer. The plane you have is nice but you'll need assistance. Analogue servos and a 2 stroke glow engine are fine for a model of the sort you have. I'm guessing they'll be Futaba 148 or 3001, or JR 591 or maybe Hitec servos, there again I may be wrong....but don't tell swmbo

Where abouts are you Paul?

CB

Hi CB I've just checked and they are JR NES-L801 servos,we live in Lewknor Oxfordshire,I will definitely have a read of the beginners guide, I would like also to look at the history of this model as it does look quite old,I must say I've certainly been made very welcome to the forum and I'm going to enjoy learning about the model and in the future hopefully seeing it fly again many thanks Paul

Hi Percy my mistake yes I meant servos,I think your correct with the Flair Cub suggestion I've just looked at Google images and it does look very much like mine,I believe it has flown in the past from the information I got from the seller this morning,I definitely agree re getting it all checked over I've got no problem with renewing parts as and when needed engine wise I would love it if this could get running again I can see where your coming from re the electric route,it's certainly something to ponder on,just out of interest could it be converted to electric without the need to modify it so as the petrol engine could be refitted at a later stage if we wanted cheers Paul

Paul

I think your model is a Piper Super Cub built from the old Radio Modeller plan RM84:

http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/16207/rm84--piper-super-cub

The plan is around 30-35 years old in my recollection and your model does look quite old too.

And it's definitely NOT a Flair Cub for several reasons:

The Flair cub fuselage structure will not allow a side mounted engine

I can see the rear fuselage structure where the sun is shining through the covering and it's built up from stick wood, again the Flair model is not designed like this.

Your model has a separately moulded cowl - the Flair model does not.

Your model is more scale in many respects compared to the Flair model - I think the RM plan model is your best bet, follow the link and see the picture and decide yourself. The plan will help you with control throws and CG location, plus if the worst happens and you need to rebuild then you have all the info needed.

I would just echo others thoughts that a good club with experienced instructors will be your best chance of success in getting this model in the air and letting your great nephew experience our great hobby!

Edited By Alan Gorham_ on 08/05/2016 17:16:27

Hi Percy I've just looked at the engine and all I can see is O.S. 4BK hopefully that's enough info as I can't see anything else obvious,that's a shame,beautiful part of the country you live in,I'm sure there will be someone closer,I've just checked the wings are definitely foam,cheers Paul

Hi for my 2p s worth Have you found out what the radio receiver is ?What is it's megahertz etc and did you get a transmitter with it? If not you will have to buy one to match or a complete Tx and Rx as they are known for short. #the engine looks like an irvine judging by the silencer.I may be wrong .The size should be embossed on the crankcase t.e. 45 /61 etc..The makers name on the other side.Nice buy though.

Regarding the little fellow 7 is not too young to start even with just chuckie and rubber so he can learnt to trim models. Take him to the club too. Can never start too young .smiley

Hi Alan I think your right there it certainly does look like our model that's brilliant, thank you,I'm certainly going to do my homework images certainly going to do my homework with regards to finding a club so we can go and see and hopefully talk to the members and find out who could possibly help us with the knowledge we need to hopefully fly this one day cheers Paul

Those servos are at least 25 years old, so it'll be worth checking the rubber mounting grommets and checking for wear on the gear train. For the cost of some new servos, eg. Hitec 485HB or JR 591's it'd be worth replacing them and the engine looks like an Irvine. If it runs then no issue, but as others have said, I'd replace the tank,tubing and fittings.

I assume the entire radio is JR, as the switch looks like JR.

If the receiver is of the same vintage i'd replace with a whole new set-up, perhaps a Spektrum DX6 transmitter and AR6210 receiver and then a new switch and receiver battery.

BUT, before you do any of that join a club and get to know your instructor, as they will be teaching you, so its worth making sure the gear they have is compatible with yours so that they can better assist you in training etc.

I've flown a few Flair Cubs and the one you have doesn't look quite like a Flair Cub, so it could be something else.

Edited By ChrisB on 08/05/2016 19:44:15

Hi Chris it's been pointed out now that it's a Piper Super Cub not a Flair,I totally agree with you about replacing bits which once I've found someone to teach us how to fly it hopefully they can advise what to go for,we didn't get a transmitter with the plane so that's something else we need to budget for,our next step is to find a club hopefully loacalish for us to join cheers Paul