NTM Motor

Advert

Thanks John for reply,I don't want it as a trainer,as I have gone slightly behond a trainer,but I just love the model,and on a nice summers night it's fantastic,it's just that I have that spare motor and I didn't want to buy a new one if that one would do the job

Colin

I would start off by looking at what set up is recommended for the Mentor - so I know what would be an initial target wattage - and just as important compare the Kv ratings of the two motors, if the recommended set up has a faster Kv then you would need to increase the prop load to compensate

Short answer is probably not - the stock motor is a 35mm class 1000Kv motor of about 200g designed for 3S, and yours is a 42mm 650Kv of >250g designed for 4-5S (though I would take their rated power of 1300W with a very large grain of salt; that's >5W/g, far more than the 3W/g rule of thumb generally used for cheap motors). You are far better choosing something in the 35mm class for ease of fitting and getting the CG right, though tbh I would be thinking about a different airframe if you have moved beyond the trainer stage - a Mentor is a fine machine, but it's no precision aerobat.

Edited By MattyB on 09/05/2016 01:33:21

It is better than your original suggestion - about the same weight as the OEM motor, and with that Kv it should be be possible to prop it to ensure good performance and duration. You may still have issues fitting in a 42mm motor vs. the 35mm the Mentor is designed for though.

Edited By MattyB on 11/05/2016 17:06:14