C of G

hello all ,,can you answer this quiry for me? when you ballance an IC plane (CG) you do it with an empty fuel tank! but with an eletric model do you ballance with the batt installed ? as when i flew my biplane under 3/4 power all it did was climb, the instrutions stated that it cg is 70mm from le and it hangs level without nose down attitude ..am i thinking right that i will have to put some down thust in to compansate this or add ballast to it instead? with no power it will glide dead flat without dropping,my plane is the multiplex gemini  thanks  ..............

Advert

If it glides fine and climbs under power then its downthrust you need definately.

Ideally you want it's direction of travel to stay the same from glide right through to full power.
It will of course gain height at full power and loose height when gliding, but that's not the same thing as the direction that the nose is pointing in..

Mark

You could check the actual position of the elevator when it is trimmed to glide. If there is a bit of "up" then you will get a noticeable nose up attitude under power from the prop wash over the tail plane. Rather than down thrust you could move the C of G back just a touch but don't over do it or you will crash!  However if the elevator is truly in line with the tail plane when gliding then the C of G is probably correct & a bit of down thrust is the answer.

Remember - always experiment in small steps.   

Hi

I have often always wondered this.  With a electric powered model the C of G shouldn' t change unless you move the battery either forward or backwards.

I have just built and yet to test fly my ic Kyosho 90 (damm weather and opportunity !). I have balanced the model as to the recommended C of G.  However it has a large fuel tank upfront to supply the fitted 120 FS. So in theory you are adding a large amount of fuel upfront making it very nose heavy.

So going back to Marks original question - ref ic models. full or empty? Or to a get a happy medium would it be better to balance the model with the tank half full - can somebody please express their views.  I have a couple of smaller ic models and have balanced them empty as the manufactuers have never said anything different and have not had any problems. Depending on flying conditions I usually trim out accordingly anyway.

I have a JR Venture 30 heli of which the tank is unusually fitted forward of the C Of G. It is a well known fact with these helis that when the tank is emptying you have to feed in forward trim.  So I would presume the tank position on a heli is far more critical than on a aeroplane.

any thoughts ?

Al

Thank s for the replies I will add a small amount of down thrust as glides straight and smooth  without  power so i guess the elevators are level , at the moment it will do huge power loops this problem was only noticed the other night it was a dead calm evening and it flu for 20 mins 2200 3s lipo well chuffed cheers again ..............mark

thanks for all you advice but did some suggest  to throttle back? sorry but i have a need for speed ha ha  I've  altered the angle of the elevator to slightly down but until it stops raining i cant check it oh well ill have to go  buy something instead

Hi Yorkman i bought the tuned motor set from multiplex and  I'm using the 10/6 prop which came with it so you could say Ive excess power ive not yet put any down thrust in yet but we will hopefully soon? cheers mark