Multiplex Fox conversion

Advert

3850 version of this

About the smallest and lightest I could find after a quick browse around my preferred suppliers - will be happy on a 2s or 3s if you really want fast !

I imagine prop would be around 4 or 5" max - but better check with George Worley ( proprietor )

He does frequent this forum, so may answer on this thread...i will see if I can nudge him  

hi timbo ,i got sorted,i had to go with an outrunner but now my next question is,if the setup i have bought says to use a 9x4 prop for example but i want to use somthing alot smaller like 4 inch how do i know what pitch to go for to get roughly the same flight times as the recommended prop?and if i go with say a 4.5x4.5 apc for example and this is too small for the motor what will be the consequences?

the "equivalent" to a 9 x 4  but at 4" diameter would be an over-square prop EG: 4 X 8 or summat...so not really feasible. If the motor you choose has a KV suitable for a 9" prop and you use a 4" it will hardly produce any power at all, and you should use a higher Kv ( lower wind ) motor.

The consequences are as above EG: little or no power due to far too low a current being pulled.

Big props are better than small props generally in most ways, but obviously there are situs where it s just not practical. 

Thats really why I suggested an inrunner for such small props.  

hi timbo thanks for reply,the motor is 1500 kv. i was just using 9x4 as an example,i get a prop chart with the motor when i comes hopefully tomorrow or wed,if i have to go with a big prop i will probably just get a folding one as i think this would be my best bet.thanks for your advice.

Hi Stuart,

I grabbed one of the little Multiplex Foxs when they were released as shop samples back in Feb.  I haven't added electric power to mine, but converted it to an RC glider instead.  With a single cell lipo, Hitec HFS-05MS receiver and 2 5gram servos it tips the scales at 85g AUW. 

Launching is from the top of my Easystar, using a servo which rotates the Fox to break the grip of a pair of magnets.  Best explained in pictures:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=L1JjoGbUsPU

i was thinking of doing this but as i dont know anything about motors and stuff could someone point me in the right direction of a motor and speed controller to add to my Fox.

I dont want it to be particulatly fast just be able to pull it round at a comfortable speed.

Cheers.   Ben   

• 4 months later...
Hiya guys - I've done the b/less thing to a Fox with some success. I used an E-Max 2805 originally (125W) and it went ballistic on a 500 2S and folding 6 x 4 prop!!!!! It lasted 5 flights before a vertical dive and burying itself 1ft. down. My new one uses the HXT Blue Wonder motor and 350 2S (same prop) and this gives great flights, as fast a a brushed Stryker!!! The servos (5gm HXT) are mounted in the sides of fuse behind trailing edge of wing and operate rudder/elevon - it is possible to add ailerons (just key in Multiplex Fox in U-Tube for ideas). The lipo sits in a small cut out just behind wing on top of fuse, AR6200 RX  and ESC in scooped out cockpit with the motor up front. The next one will be a bipe on a smaller motor (80W) for slowflying etc. If you go to the Giantcod webite (one of RCME's customers) there is a photo section with details of another guys convertion.

• 2 weeks later...