Electric brushless setup for a Ben Buckle Long Cabin

Hi all, At least 10years ago, I ran a nightclubs for Aeromodelling and one of the later projects was a Long Cabin converted to electric flight. To cut a very long story short, we used the motor and sec as above, swinging a APCE 11x7. We hand launched the model which was powered by nicads or Nimh, about 8 to 10 cells. The escape says 7 to 16 cells. I have managed to find a pdf in German for the esc and guess what, I can,t read German I am hoping to use Lipos and wonder if any of you can advise from here, as to how many cells and capacity. I can of course change the prop. It's amazing when you have 10 years completely absorbed in something else, how you so easily loose your confidence! Potty Flyer.

Advert

Many thanks, I will look at Max4 site. I am also resurrecting my Slim Matador, I knew Henry J.and he gave permission to use this project in the articles which I wrote for the modelling press. This was a great project using geared 400 motor and 7 small nicads, the model flew very well and all of my nightclubs members flew this for many hours and lasted for up to 10 minutes on a single charge. The power was marginal with hand launching over open fields, but this gave all the youngsters and setup for members life long memories. I am just beginning an overhaul and refit with brushless and liposp. I expect this will fly off the field and be as nippy as you like and I have managed to get together a sound flight system. It will take a while but will make a post as soon as I have succeeded. Best regards, Stuart

Stuart, should that motor be a 2820/12 ? The Axi 28 range only goes up to 2826 but that only goes up to /10, whereas the 2820 runs from /6 to /14.

A 2820/12 would go well with 3s, a 40A esc & an 11" - 12" prop.
The battery capacity need only be about 2200mAH but a larger capacity might be helpful with the cg position.

BTW what make is the esc you have ?

Thank you, the model flew once using this setup but with the nims or nicads, the exculpatory says on it ACCU 4016 3ph 7_16 cells, which obviously refers to 1.2v nicads. I looked the exculpatory on the web and could only five d a puff instruction leaflet in German, but it is the same one, the images confirm this. The prop I used is still on the model 11x7 pace.

Stuart, I suspect that it's an original Model Motors 40A ESC & you probably bought it from Puffin Models who were the sole AXI importer back then.

I have the instructions for the MM 40e-3ph ESC purchased with an AXI 2820/10 in 2003. My ESC only goes up to 12cells but the instructions are probably basicaly similar. If you can confirm that yours is a Model Motors ESC I can make a copy & email you the PDF.

BTW the cut off low voltage will not match a level that's safe for lipos. I use mine in a motor glider but time the motor run times. More recently I fitted a FrSky Rx with telemetry so now would get a voice warning if the lipo voltage ran low.

Posted by PatMc on 05/06/2016 14:03:12:

Stuart, should that motor be a 2820/12 ? The Axi 28 range only goes up to 2826 but that only goes up to /10, whereas the 2820 runs from /6 to /14.

A 2820/12 would go well with 3s, a 40A esc & an 11" - 12" prop.
The battery capacity need only be about 2200mAH but a larger capacity might be helpful with the cg position.

I have AXI 2826/12 motors in three of my models, all bought quite a few years ago. They run 12x6 APC E props on 5S A123 or 11x7 on 4S LiPo. About 500 watts 36A with the A123, and 550 watts 36A with the LiPo.

Seems like AXI have dropped (or sold out) all the /12 versions of the old 2826, but they have it once again in the new V2 version of the motor.

• 4 weeks later...

Many thanks, I have now linked all of this up, I am yet to test fly but there is definitely enough on 3 cells Lipo. McMaster project has also flown exceptionally well with new brushless setup, after 15 minute flights there is still 4 volts left in each cell. Thanks to all of you, I will post again once the weather settles and the Long Cabin gets into the air once again.

• 2 weeks later...