Funny now, but it could have been a lot worse

ben goodfellow  1

But isn't that what I've just said Owdlad (without the implied threat of violence!) If the pilot id=s doing it "in front of your nose" and its clearly the view that it isn't safe - then act. But equally you have to recognise that there are scenarios involving hovering that are safe - so then what's the problem. My point is that I believe its a judgement call, not a rule that is needed, which I think is basically what you are saying. Not all hovering pilots are idiots - equally not all circuit flying pilots are saints! There's good and bad,...

BEB

Fully agree BEB.. If the pilot wants to practice hovering, he puts measures in place not to endanger others. I'm sure most people don't mind bieng grounded for 10 min or so while the pilot shows off his/her skills.

I've also seen dodgy pilots flying circuits and crashing in the pits

I admire the better pilots, watch them intently and learn off them when I go to shows

The problem is; Common sense is hard to come by........that's why I have a downer on clubs and prefer to fly with a mate or 2 at our own patch

Sounds like you've been in the wrong clubs! A decent one should run exactly the same as you and your mates...

I suppose a counter argument could be made that low hovering is inherently safer than normal circuit flying - if anything goes pear-shaped, the model can be dumped on the ground very quickly whereas an out of control model flying at speed and height has a great deal of kinetic and potential energy and could easily hit people on the flightline or pits!