Funny now, but it could have been a lot worse

ben goodfellow  1

so , flying on the beach last night. hovering about 10 foot up 25 foot up wind ,, a funny noise , then out of my carbon z yak comes the motor,prop and the tube that its mounted in shooting out the front , hovers a bit then gradually descended over the top of us ... heads i shouted ,,, as it went fling past us . bang ......prop straight through his acro wot wing , like a throwing knife,, funny now , but could of been alot worse

Posted by Donald Fry on 16/06/2016 12:11:17:

You are not having a good week, but at least it missed you and yours. Flying objects seem to conspire to find novel ways to hit the ground. I don't suppose you noticed if the fail safe cut in?

ed .. no glue was used by me as its rtf .. or HH it seems too..wink

donald . i have no idea if i had the failsafe setcheeky . i never check it . and if it was set would it of made a difference ???????????????wink

also when this model was new the tray for the lipo came out  . after 3/4 flights which destroyed the battery , the plane only had a few marks on it .....dont  think IT cut in then either....................................

Edited By ben goodfellow 1 on 16/06/2016 12:39:59

Posted by ben goodfellow 1 on 16/06/2016 12:36:41:

i have no idea if i had the failsafe setcheeky . i never check it . and if it was set would it of made a difference ???????????????wink

cryingcryingcrying

Hi Ben Not knocking  you about lack of glue as its obviously a ARTF or rtf model . The manufactures are renowned for using as little glue as possible ! Its always worth checking vital points or mountings on pre built models for glue etc . I have seen many firewalls and engine mounts fail on ARTF models due to poor fits and lack of adhesive .Lucky escape apart from Acrow wot. 

Posted by ben goodfellow 1 on 16/06/2016 12:36:41:

You are not having a good week, but at least it missed you and yours. Flying objects seem to conspire to find novel ways to hit the ground. I don't suppose you noticed if the fail safe cut in?

ed .. no glue was used by me as its rtf .. or HH it seems too..wink

donald . i have no idea if i had the failsafe setcheeky . i never check it . and if it was set would it of made a difference ???????????????wink

also when this model was new the tray for the lipo came out . after 3/4 flights which destroyed the battery , the plane only had a few marks on it .....dont think IT cut in then either....................................

Don't you just love ARTFs.

Posted by Engine Doctor on 16/06/2016 13:19:59:

Hi Ben Not knocking  you about lack of glue as its obviously a ARTF or rtf model . The manufactures are renowned for using as little glue as possible ! Its always worth checking vital points or mountings on pre built models for glue etc . I have seen many firewalls and engine mounts fail on ARTF models due to poor fits and lack of adhesive .Lucky escape apart from Acrow wot.Â

ed .... your right bout checking .... its not glue thats used ,it seems to be some type of silicon which is not actualy bonded to the plastic ,, more like tension keeping it on . it all peeled of the mount with very little effort .my freind whos plane it hit just laughed ............this is probaly the only foamy i would buy.....and i only fly it without as3x as thats cheating ....wink

I accept that Ben WAS joking about not having the failsafe set to idle throttle and that he never checks it. And of course it was not the cause of structural failure.

But if he had not set the failsafe to low throttle he would have been contravening CAP658 therefore if his structural failure had resulted in a fatality instead of just a hole in an Acrowot it would surely have been found in any investigation and blame would inevitably follow!

And of course once you have stated something online it's there for ever and could be used in evidence against you if any solicitor wants to sue you! So you won't have a leg to stand on if you don't set your failsafe properly from now on!

Posted by ben goodfellow 1 on 17/06/2016 18:14:33:

kc ....once again ... and tell me if im saying it wrong ............ YOU CANT BING AN ELECTRIC MODEL AT FULL THROTTLE FAILSAFE ...if there is another way i can say this please tell me now as you seem pretty confused about it .. do you not undersatnd????????????????????????????????????????????????

OK, I'll buy it.

I don't understand what you are saying.

And I'll tell you something else,...I suspect I'm far from being the only one.

For a start I am unfamiliar with this verb "to bing" perhaps you could explain?

But before you do can I suggest that you refrain from continuous bold capitals - or some of us might suspect that you are shouting at us - which of course you can't be as that would be very rude indeed.

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 17/06/2016 18:26:57:

kc ....once again ... and tell me if im saying it wrong ............ YOU CANT BING AN ELECTRIC MODEL AT FULL THROTTLE FAILSAFE ...if there is another way i can say this please tell me now as you seem pretty confused about it .. do you not undersatnd????????????????????????????????????????????????

OK, I'll buy it.

I don't understand what you are saying.

And I'll tell you something else,...I suspect I'm far from being the only one.

For a start I am unfamiliar with this verb "to bing" perhaps you could explain?

But before you do can I suggest that you refrain from continuous bold capitals - or some of us might suspect that you are shouting at us - which of course you can't be as that would be very rude indeed.

BEB

One could be very tempted to say to BEB "Dont feed the troll" but that would probably be against the rules, so I wont.....

According to the BMFA Handbook it is mandatory under regulations CAP 658 to have any failsafe set so that the model goes into idle throttle. There are no options to do anything else. So any model fitted with a failsafe has to be set that way. ( it seems all 2.4 ghz sets have a failsafe )

A structural failure seems to have caused your accident but if that accident had involved serious injury no doubt the whole model would have been examined closely and that would surely have included failsafe settings.. So it has to be correct.

Really the discussion should be whether it is safe to hover a model at a height of 10 feet and 25 feet upwind of any spectators or other pilots. Personally I would have thought it should be downwind of any parked model or people.so in the event of a problem it goes away from them.

Edited By kc on 17/06/2016 19:52:37

I hate to be picky, and this could be considered off topic, but I think it is very important that people understand the law correctly.

The end point of what KC says is quite correct, and I agree 100% with his sentiment. But the detail needs a little clarification!

Neither the BMFA Handbook nor CAP658 are the law. So nothing they say is strictly speaking "mandatory",

But,....they are held out as "guidelines" and as such they could be used in court as indicators of expected "good practice". In turn failure to follow such "good practice" could be considered to be either:

1. Negligent - under a private civil prosecution for liability damages.Or,

2. Possibly a breech of the ANO - in that all reasonable steps to ensure that the flight could be carried out safely were obviously not followed.

Either way the end point is the same; you end up "on the hook" as KC states.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 17/06/2016 20:07:41

YOU CANT BING AN ELECTRIC MODEL AT FULL THROTTLE FAILSAFE .

Sorry Ben but I can think of two ways without even thinking very hard.

First of all, say you're using Futaba equipment. You want to bind a receiver to the transmitter before you put it in an out of the way position in a plane. You attach a temporary Rx battery, do a quick bind and off you go. While you did a quick check that Thr stick is low, you forgot that the channel needs reversing. Next, you carry on with your installation, set everything up and go fly. Where's your failsafe set now? (Clue - it's set to high throttle).

Next - say you don't believe in BECs, some folk really prefer a Rx battery. You can do all your binding and model setting up way before you introduce a flight LiPo. Here again - plenty of potential to set it in correctly if you make a mistake.

I'm not suggesting that this is the case anywhere, I'm just saying it is perfectly possible.

you cant bind at full throttle both dx 18 wont start rf till its at idle . and same on my 18sz .. and by default the channel is the right way around when connecting it to an esc .......its the tx that stops. the full throttle bind its irrelevant of what battery is plugged in > i prefer chris lee as count D as apposed to that dave actor that played him he was a more accomplished blood sucker

Really the discussion should be whether it is safe to hover a model at a height of 10 feet and 25 feet upwind of any spectators or other pilots. Personally I would have thought it should be downwind of any parked model or people.so in the event of a problem it goes away from them.

you could be flying at 200 foot and something goes wrong it could still hit you ..what about helis must they be hovered 3/4 of a mile away from any one? some of the comments on here really make me question the ability of some of the pilots ........its all very matter of fact you say you shouldnt do this or you should do that ,,, im thinking maybe the reason is because you cant do it ?. it must be really fun at the gentry club you fly at . do yous fill method statements and risk assessments out before every flight a bet the rule book is as long as a google search for the worlds most boring people ...................

Edited By ben goodfellow 1 on 17/06/2016 21:34:59