New To Flying

Warren Phillips

Hey Everyone

I hope you find you all in good spirit.

I am new to PSSA and was introduced by David Gilder.

I have never flown a plane before and and looking forward to getting my maiden flight out the way, I have bought a P51 mustang (still waiting to get it as not been well and need to arrange collection).

I am also looking to build something for the slopes, something nice and easy for a newbie like myself. There are so many to choose from I just don't know what to choose.

Can someone point to me to a nice plan and wood build I can crack on with please.

I am coming to the next meeting in August so hope to meet some of you guys there.

Thanks

Warren

Advert

Hi Warren, sorry I know nothing about slope soaring LoL, but I would concentrate on the flying aspect for the rest of the year, and do the building as what we call The Winter Build when the weather gets bad in the Winter. Mind you these soarer guys love a big blow in the Winter. They are a hard lot. No doubt you will get answers from guys in the know. Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum Warren.

There is nothing to stop you building whilst we get you on the sticks.

The foamy wing will get you going and help you to become proficient and safe ready for an own built model to take to the air.

The Cliffwacker linked above looks like a suitable starter for 10! I was thinking of something along the lines of a precedent Hi fly or a Ridge Runt, but having looked at the Cliffwacker - Might build one alongside you!

Dave

I must admit I am surprised that people have agreed that starting with a sporty slope glider suc as the Cliffwhacker as a newbie model aircraft is an OK choice.

Many people have fallen foul of buying their ideal model first, two to three flights on a trainer and their new purchase is then reduced to matchsticks. A P51 mustang would be two to three models experience down the line.

I would have thought that until you actually learn to fly it would be best to start on the flat with a trainer type offering before you get to learning the dynamics of slope.

Obviously if anyone has a different perspective . . . .

Edited By John F on 27/06/2016 13:18:13

I started my r/c flying on the slopes (White Horse Hill, Uffington)in the 70s with a 3 channel shoulder wing sloper when other starters were using 2 channel Impalas. It was not a great model, nowhere near as good as the Cliffwhacker. It still taught me to fly despite being prone to tip stalling at every opportunity. The beauty of the slope is that you generally have a lot of air underneath the model even when its right in front of you so you do have time to recover from all those wrong stick inputs. I flew for almost 2 seasons without learning to land properly. I used to zigzag in front of me at low level and walk backwards away from the slope until the machine lost lift and settled in front of me. Go for it Warren.

So.....

Having spent the afternoon on the simulator and practising my landing and take off etc (not as realistic I know but gives me a taste) I went and got myself my first build.

I have gone for a Chris Foss Designs Middle Phase 2 RC Glider. I feel this is a suitable plane and will enjoy building it as my first project.

I will keep everyone updated as I go along in a new post with images etc...

Warren