Wot 4 XL servo placement

cymaz

I have been given permission to purchase a new plane after the demise of my Giles and Wot4 in the last 9 months.

I was thinking of getting a Wot4 XL and fitting it with my Evo 20gx. Do the experienced XL fliers think that would be a good enough power plant for it. The engine used to pull my Giles around with ease, it was a fairly heavy model.

The other question was the reason for the thread. I have a great dislike for wooden push rods for elevators. Is it possible to put servos in the rear of the XL to work the elevators. And what other modifications have you seen fit to do. I have HS 645mg servos ready to go!

I will post a bild thread here as well...eventually

Morning. I have a WOT4 XL powered by an OS120 2S, plenty of power. I used 2 Hitec 635HB servos for the elevators, mounted well back. Possibly over kill but it seems to work well? Battery placement sorted any issue re CG. Rudder is closed loop. The WOT4 XL is a fab 'plane and flies well in windy conditions.

Buy one and enjoy

Posted by Dean Hunter on 18/07/2016 08:44:40:

Morning. I have a WOT4 XL powered by an OS120 2S, plenty of power. I used 2 Hitec 635HB servos for the elevators, mounted well back. Possibly over kill but it seems to work well? Battery placement sorted any issue re CG. Rudder is closed loop. The WOT4 XL is a fab 'plane and flies well in windy conditions.

Buy one and enjoy

Cheers Dean and Rich

Is there any cut outs in the fuselage for twin elevator servos?

Edited By cymaz on 18/07/2016 18:06:05

I fly mine stock using the wooden elevator push rod and have a ASP 120 fs dragging it around the sky. Never had any issues with the push rod but it is without doubt one of the best flyers in my fleet it will handle most weather conditions and fly's like its on rails.

Plane and engine now ordered from Kings Lynn Models.

Frsky Rx 2.4 ordered form T9 Hobbysport

The batteries will be coming from Component Shop

Odds and sods from RcWorld.

Switches from KCmodelaccessories777(eBay)

So far so good.....let the boxes arrive !!

Had a close look at a couple of wot4 XL 's at the club today. Really tempted to add flaps before joining the wings together.

It just means cutting the ailerons 2/3 of the way down and adding another couple of servos in the wings...simple enough really.

Anyone else thought of doing that?

Posted by cymaz on 23/07/2016 22:55:36:

Had a close look at a couple of wot4 XL 's at the club today. Really tempted to add flaps before joining the wings together.

It just means cutting the ailerons 2/3 of the way down and adding another couple of servos in the wings...simple enough really.

If you do that and can assign each servo it own channel you can get a very flexible setup that gives you a number of different options.

flaps, crow breaks full or half ailerons ect....

Hi Cymaz - I wouldn't bother with flaps - the WOT4 XL can be slowed down very nicely without flaps and haven't ever felt the need for them. I bought mine S/H as an empty damaged shell. Had a bit of work to do on it but it's now my favourite flyer. I used to have an ASP FS120 in it but couldn't get it to run reliably (turns out there's some internal damage!) and have replaced it with an OS FS120 lll pumped which is absolutely brilliant. The tank is now on the COG too so an extra benefit.

Enjoy!

Terry

Posted by cymaz on 23/07/2016 22:55:36:

I programmed my XL to have flaperons but to be honest I very rarely us them it will fly slow enough without.

Ok. So what I will do then is place some cord into the wings should I get the urge to be daft and add them. Do this before wing joining.

Also will Put the tank on c of g as recommended by Terry et al. I can use most of the hardware from the Giles. I will brace the tail with carbon rod and clevises etc.

Looking at one at the club, I have been told the elevator push rod threads are 4-40?? I would like to double check..is this correct ?? If so I will order new clevises of this size.