Top Flite Mustang P51.65"

Advert

Sorry Gary we're taking over the thread.  If you mean the built-up kits then they seem to have a good reputation but they represent serious projects to anyone contemplating, good, absorbing and very satisfying none the less.  

Shaun - I've got a US mag' with a review of the Top Flite Sea Fury built-up kit. PM me your address if you want and I'll post a copy. I left a thread on RC groups a while back to see if anyone there had built it but the response was practically zero. I'm sure someone has said that it's an idea to build light at the tail so as to reduce the need for noseweight. It's supposed to fly very well though.

No worries David, please feel free............Well I bought one this morning from my local Al's, think this will take about 7-8........years to complete, so will post a pic in 2016......see you then!!!! 

No, in all honesty it looks like a great kit, a bit daunting, but a bit at a time should keep me busy for a while.

Really good instructions and plans,for what I can see at the moment (2 cups of coffee and light scan,seems to be ok, nothing too scary...yet),  Will keep you updated.

Okay guys I have been building this for nearly a week now, Tailplane (or Stab as they say in americana) also the Fin (fin as they say in americana), Rudder (no more), I am nearer to building the wing's now, do I fit Retracts (Robart 605's) as suggested in the manual........I have a bit of a dilemma, the clubs field is not bowling green flat, but it's not too bad, a few of the guys have said it will be a problem with the retracts, ie bent legs and not fully retracting etc etc, and a few have said it will be okay.......Having also never fitted retracts before that may present itself as yet another challenge ........or do I go for a rigid wheel set up, not really scale is it!!...........anyone have any thoughts on such a major dilemma? (Tongue firmly in cheek)

Ta!

Hi Gary

Sorry for the dealy in replying to you but work has got in the way of a lot of things lately.  Firstly, I have built a few Top Flite kits Sea Fury and DC3, and have the Spitfire winging its way to me as we speak. I also have in the loft somewhere the mustang as part of my 'i'll buy it cos the credit card is empty and build it when I am ready ' projects

All have built quite nicely with reasonable quality wood ( a Little heavy ) but fine for an avaerage plane. Also, if you muck up a section, Top Flite are excellent at sending individual sheets of pre cut parts.

As for retracts, they are not too hard to fit and whilst they can add some weight they can also improve the flying ability of some planes. The manuals are very well written, but be sure you follow the correct section for either with or without retracts. I fly off of a fairly bumpy green also and for the best part they are ok, pot holes can cause instant dismantling. A good friend of mine uses an inline fuse so that if the retracts lock up then they do not drain the battery, where as I always go for a second battery pack.

As for the choice, I love the look of wheels going up and down, will you ???? 

NIck

Thanks Nick for that, Mmmm yes your right as far as the retracts go, they would look great going up and down, so probably will install them.......Like the idea of having a separate battery as well for the tracts, someone else mentioned that down my club also....will keep you posted!!