Advert

thanks for that doug...im actually building a model for electric that was originally designed for ic, im just testing the water for ideas for saving weight and at the same time give model a decent overall finish, wings are foam cored fus is balsa/ply , i intend to use enamel paint with possibly water based satin/matt varnish...cheers

Hi Richard

As an old doper I can tell you it is not proof against glow fuel but that shouldn't bother you. It does water proof (and adds some strength) which will interest you as balsa absorbs a lot of water and swells if you get it wet. Dope also shrinks which can be an issue on thin sheeting (as you apply it to only one side) but sheet well supported over a foam core (compatible with dope?) should not be a problem. As you are going to paint your model you are really using the dope as a sealer but dope is heavy, 2 coats thinned 50/50 will give a better finish than one full strength one. Go easy with the paint, it is heavy also. It may look good but paint itself never made anything fly better!

Todays much better and easier to use method is PolyC which is a water based PU type liquid that can be used with all the usual materials- especially useful with tissue on foam models, but equally good on balsa. I use it to toughen up most if not all of my foamies, and have just used it on a balsa and ply sloper - tissue on all surfaces, and fibreglass on the fus bottom to protect it on belly landings in the rough grass and gorse! POLY C

Thanks all for that youre a mine of information, yes eric i knew about the dope/polystyrene incompatability , but thanks for reminding me! ...you should all get together and write a few modeling tips books!! great stuff as always!...regards and thanks richard..... p.s. i'll be looking for some poly c ...cheers all

I'm substituting for Poly-C with Cuprinol indoor water soluble varnish on a small .15 model - it's stuck a layer of glass cloth onto the balsa sheet fuselage a treat - and it's left lovely satin mahogany finish!  It sands nicely and iyt feels that coats dry out quite light - whther it's fuel proof is another matter.  

try it on a piece of scrap and see!  one good thing is that it has no odour, and drips can be cleared up with a wet rag.

I've covered the wings with lightweight glass cloth  and diluted  Evostick resin W.  I think the Cuprinol filled the weave better than the PVA, but they both sanded ok - whether they would be so easy to sand after a heavy coat is another matter.  lots of thin coats works well.

Now to see if I've got any Christmas wrapping paper left for the final finish.