Binding and updating

Graham R

Posted by MattyB on 13/01/2017 12:39:58:
Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 13/01/2017 09:17:11:

There's a nice video here showing how to flash receivers using Taranis.

Just REMEMBER though - it is not a standard cable, the wiring is different at each end.

...to be specific, you need to swap the red and black cables on the end that goes into the TX module slot.

Here is FrSky's own guide from their website with lots of pictures.

Instructions link above for reference.

Advert

I have made up the correct lead for the tx - rx link.

I have downloaded the file for my X6R (X8R_150115.rar) and put it onto the sd card-FIRMWARES Lib.

Go onto correct page on taranis, select the correct file press enter and nothing happens.

Do I need to power up the rx with an external battery?

Graham

Hi Graham. No the cable will power the receiver, assuming it has the crossed over wires like the photo below.

The file that goes on the SD card must end in .frk

So it will be X8R_150115.frk

This will be inside the compressed file X8R_150115.rar

If you can't find a way to unpack that file, I can probably find a way to make you a link to the .frk version. Let me know if you need me to do that.

PS Here's both ends of the cable, note: One end has red and black swapped.

img_7075.jpg

That is absolutely fine, don't worry about it. All that means is you flashed the opposite version to the version in your TX module i.e. you flashed EU LBT and your TX module is on International, or vice versa. Crucially this means you now know what RF firmware is in you TX! All you need to do now is flash the other firmware version (download it from the link I posted a few posts above) and flash it using exactly the same method, then bind - job done!

Edited By MattyB on 19/01/2017 21:27:04

Posted by Graham Russell on 20/01/2017 21:07:03:

I have tried downloading any of the other files but each time i try to copy it to the sd card interiors saying

The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “X8RX6R_eu_150602.frk” can’t be read or written.
(Error code -36

Any Ideas

How are you doing the transfer? I always use the USB cable and it is 100% reliable. Ail and rudder trims to centre and switch on simultaneously, then connect via USB and the SD should appear as a removable drive.

Posted by MattyB on 21/01/2017 01:01:58:
Posted by Graham Russell on 20/01/2017 21:07:03:

I have tried downloading any of the other files but each time i try to copy it to the sd card interiors saying

The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “X8RX6R_eu_150602.frk” can’t be read or written.
(Error code -36

Any Ideas

How are you doing the transfer? I always use the USB cable and it is 100% reliable. Ail and rudder trims to centre and switch on simultaneously, then connect via USB and the SD should appear as a removable drive.

Hi Matt

I am writing it directly onto the SD card.

I have downloaded the file from Chris (thank you) and written it to the X6R .The bad news is that it will still not bind.

I don't blame you all if your'e losing patience with this problem. Think that I should forget this Rx as I have a couple of other receivers to use.

thanks once again to all

Hi Graham. This is so frustrating isn't it?

So you've tried both the none EU and the EU LBT versions and neither bind.
Just to check, you are binding in D16 mode aren't you?

I just thought there is a different way to bind this. It's not the proper answer but it might just suit you.

Do you have the little jumper connectors that came with it?
If you push on a jumper, connecting the signal pins together of Ch5 and Ch6. Then connect the Rx battery - that puts it in D8 bind mode. (No need to push the bind button this time).

Then you set the Tx to D8 mode and go into bind on the Tx and they should work together that way.

Posted by Graham Russell on 22/01/2017 20:47:11:

Yes, I have also been binding some of my other receivers X8R , D8r and both are binding ok

Ah, ok - that might tell us something I think. If you are able to bind to a D8R you must have D8 mode, and a new out of the box EU LBT set sold after Jan 2015 would not have it. I suppose you might have by chance enabled D8 mode when you moved to a later version of OpenTX a page or two ago, but if not you are on Int'l firmware in your TX module. Chris, do you agree with my logic?

Anyway, the next step I would suggest (given you cannot return it to the seller) is to try binding the offending RX to another Taranis. Do you know anyone nearby with one who can try this? If not you can always send it to someone on here and we can try for you on both firmware versions; happy to help.

Edited By MattyB on 22/01/2017 22:29:09

I'm not sure I do agree with the logic Matty.
Graham could have either RF firmware on his Tx or possibly even an in between one.
To enable D8 he simply had to have "EU" unchecked when he downloaded OpenTx in Companion.

If it were me, I'd probably bite the bullet and resign myself to flashing TX and all Rxs to a known version. EU-LBT probably, to ensure any new receivers would work.

Graham did say way back that this is an early Taranis so it's almost certain to have started on ROW XJT firmware. It's quite possibly a faulty Rx, but without another Tx of known status there's no way of knowing.

Graham, what area do you live in or have I missed that in a previous post? Maybe there's someone nearby who could help, failing that would you be prepared to post it to one of us to test?

edit - just gone back and found out that Graham is in West Sussex, bit of a trawl to pop round to me in Brum!

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 23/01/2017 11:13:39

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 23/01/2017 11:08:59:

Graham did say way back that this is an early Taranis so it's almost certain to have started on ROW XJT firmware. It's quite possibly a faulty Rx, but without another Tx of known status there's no way of knowing.

Graham, what area do you live in or have I missed that in a previous post? Maybe there's someone nearby who could help, failing that would you be prepared to post it to one of us to test?

edit - just gone back and found out that Graham is in West Sussex, bit of a trawl to pop round to me in Brum!

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 23/01/2017 11:13:39

Yes it is definitely an early Tx. I think that the Receiver in question is new.

I am very happy to send my Rx away.

When I retired, I did treat myself to a rather nice Jeti system as I was having quite a few problems with the Taranis

(The problem that everybody is kindly trying to sort out for me).

Due to the cost of receivers I was going to use the Taranis for hack models.

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 23/01/2017 00:00:21:
If it were me, I'd probably bite the bullet and resign myself to flashing TX and all Rxs to a known version. EU-LBT probably, to ensure any new receivers would work.

Yes, you are probably right - long term that is the most efficient way to go, especially as it does not sound like Graham has that many RXs. Now he is on OpenTX 2.1 he can do this relatively straightforwardly from the TX itself.

Graham, based on the above I would say you have two distinct problems here that we can tackle quite separately:

1. Possible faulty RX - Either find someone locally to you who can try binding it, or send it to one of us and we will test it for you.
  2. Getting your TX and all receivers to a single, known version of RF firmware - This might take a little more time sort term, but will pay back long term as you will never have to play with any new receivers you buy; they will just work out of the box. My suggestion would be that you flash your internal TX module and just one of the currently working X series receivers to EU LBT firmware, then verify you can bind it. Assuming that works (and there is no reason it should not), you then need to flash all of your other working RXs to EU LBT by the same method. Again follow the FrSky instructions carefully and tips in this thread and it should work fine.

Edited By MattyB on 23/01/2017 11:51:36