Binding and updating

Graham R

I suggest if you look at the "How To" section of my documentation you will find out about the different firmwares and how to update your transmitter and receivers. Certainly you will not have the latest versions. However, first you will need to update OpenTX to the latest version, 2.1.9.

**LINK**

Advert

So you have most of your receivers working, just not the X6R?

My guess is, and it is only a guess, is that your Tx and older X8Rs are all using the Non EU RFsystem and the X6R was supplied on EU-LBT.

If so, then your path of least effort would be to change the New Rx to Non EU.

There's no real need to update OpenTx on your Tx. But that would give you the option of changing Rx firmware directly from the Tx.

Otherwise just do it from a PC.

If you want to take everything to EU-LBT. My guess is that you'll have to update both the Tx RF firmware and all your X8R receivers firmware. The advantage of doing so would be that any further new receivers would work straight away.

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 08/01/2017 15:37:43

Sorry, I beg to differ. Far better to update OpenTX now and have the latest telemetry setup, even if you only use RSSI and receiver battery voltage. If you stay with an older version of OpenTX, then every model will have to be individually changed should you later update. You will also find a plethora of conflicting information about how to use OpenTX on the internet if using an older version which will be confusing.

Updating OpenTX is very easy indeed.

It makes sense to update everything, once Tx and all X series Rx are all on EU LBT firmware then everything is more straightforward, and as Chris says, new Rx will be compatible.

I'm with Chris here.

One of the criticisms levelled at Taranis is the complexity. OK, we know that actually it isn't that conplex - but it can seem that way to newcomers. Heaping conflicting advice on the OP simply plays into that false image of the complexity.

Let the guy get his basic system working. At present things are so bad that he can't actually use the Tx for heavens sake! To him its an expensive paperweight, he can't even bind a damn Rx!! So let's give him a reason to like Taranis - to do that all he needs to do is to get the Tx and the Rx on the same version of the RF software. What version of OpenTx he has is completely irrelevant just at the moment - because whatever it is it will work, as long as he gets the RF systems compatible.

Once he has a stable system that actually works, then we can worry about getting him to the latest versions and updating both the RF and OpenTx software.

35 years working in education tells me that it is always best to take folks forward one step at a time - build the knowledge with them. That way they understand. If you just come in as "the expert" and say "change this, this and that", OK, it'll probably work - but they will never know why or how and the next time there is a protocol change they will right back at square one - stuck. But, do it one step at a time, build it up alongside them, take them with you, then you give them understanding; then they can eventually stand on their own two feet.

What's the old saying?,....give a man a fish and you give him a meal, teach him how to fish and you give him a livelihood! Well that's my version anyway wink 2

BEB

Sorry, but I am beginning to get confused as to what I should do.

It seems to me that I need to bite the bullet and just bring it all up to date (EU-LBT), that way its job done starting I presume with the Tx and OpenTx .

Will you still be able to help me go down this route?

If I do this, will I still be able to use all my old receivers?with the relevant updates

Thanks to Chris and Andy for your continued help.

Graham

Sorry I still disagree. The version of OpenTX is very relevant due to the enhancements made in version 2.1 to update firmware in both the Tx and Rx. If he updates OpenTX, which is a simple, almost automatic process, he then greatly simplifies the job of updating his firmware.

I too have 35 years in education, rising to a very senior level teaching both children and teachers, but I think you are wrong, why teach somebody something which they later will have to unlearn? Schools don't teach the Earth is flat only later to tell pupils it is round. Perhaps you are saying everyone should learn ICT by using DOS and then working through the various versions of Windows? Working his way up from 2.0 to 2.1 will build little or no knowledge, but just add a layer of unnecessary complexity and confusion.

For me, update OpenTX to 2.1, then use the features in 2.1 to easily update the FrSky firmware to EU LBT on the Tx and each of his X series receivers. Then he will have an up-to-date system and be able to buy extra EU receivers without any further fiddling. It is very much more difficult to update the firmware and the receivers using OpenTX 2.0 and he will need extra hardware. Neither that hardware nor that updating procedure will be needed again.

Posted by Andy48 on 08/01/2017 20:08:14:

Sorry I still disagree. The version of OpenTX is very relevant due to the enhancements made in version 2.1 to update firmware in both the Tx and Rx. If he updates OpenTX, which is a simple, almost automatic process, he then greatly simplifies the job of updating his firmware.

I too have 35 years in education, rising to a very senior level teaching both children and teachers, but I think you are wrong, why teach somebody something which they later will have to unlearn? Schools don't teach the Earth is flat only later to tell pupils it is round. Perhaps you are saying everyone should learn ICT by using DOS and then working through the various versions of Windows? Working his way up from 2.0 to 2.1 will build little or no knowledge, but just add a layer of unnecessary complexity and confusion.

For me, update OpenTX to 2.1, then use the features in 2.1 to easily update the FrSky firmware to EU LBT on the Tx and each of his X series receivers. Then he will have an up-to-date system and be able to buy extra EU receivers without any further fiddling. It is very much more difficult to update the firmware and the receivers using OpenTX 2.0 and he will need extra hardware. Neither that hardware nor that updating procedure will be needed again.

One can but try

BEB

Tale of Woe

Hi Guys,

I thought I would go the route of updating Tx then receivers.

Something has gone wrong. When I switch on the Tx I get the audio message "welcome to etc", the backlight flashes on then off and that it.

Ah well, back to the drawing board.sad

Graham

I've not been involved directly in educating others but I think I have been educated to some extent and I have to say that under normal circumstances I'd agree with BEB. It's easier top absorb knowledge one step at a time.

However - in this case I think Andy's last paragraph is the key - updating to 2.1 sidesteps the now redundant process of upgrading through the PC using the USB adaptor. Get the system to bind, learn OpenTX then if the OP is interested he can look into the background and development of the RF side.

Posted by Graham Russell on 09/01/2017 10:06:57:

Tale of Woe

Hi Guys,

I thought I would go the route of updating Tx then receivers.

Something has gone wrong. When I switch on the Tx I get the audio message "welcome to etc", the backlight flashes on then off and that it.

Ah well, back to the drawing board.sad

Graham

One trap for the unwary is selecting the wrong transmitter model in Companion - settings - radio profile - radio type before downloading OpenTX - selecting Taranis Plus instead of the vanilla Taranis or vice verce.

Hi Grahame l hope you are getting your Tx/Rx problems sorted. What a great bunch of people who are willing to help. The giving a man a fish and teaching a man to fish anecdote is perfect. Thank you for leaving a light on in a dark place. From the questions you have posed, several issues have been resolved for me.

d itPosted by Andy48 on 09/01/2017 15:57:38:

Graham

You need to explain what you have done so far, otherwise everyone is just guessing.

I downloaded the latest companion from a link that someone gave me, saved it on the mac went into opentx , connect up my taranisto the Mac pressed the 'write firmware to radio button . The file it wrote was taranisplus-en.bin

I guess this was the wrong. file.

Hope this helps

I downloaded the latest companion from a link that someone gave me, saved it on the mac went into opentx , connect up my taranisto the Mac pressed the 'write firmware to radio button . The file it wrote was taranisplus-en.bin

Hope this helps

OK, can you tell us which version of Companion you have now? It usually tells you right at the top. If not then click Help then About.

What you needed to do was to set up companion so it matches your particular Taranis exactly. That's in Settings - Settings - Radio Type.

ONLY AFTER you've done that, should you download the firmware for the Taranis. That's by File - Download, and save it somewhere you can remember.

Once dowloaded, it needs to be written to the Taranis. At this stage you need to ensure that you're writing the version (filename) that you just downloaded.

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 09/01/2017 21:59:04:

Hope this helps

OK, can you tell us which version of Companion you have now? It usually tells you right at the top. If not then click Help then About.

What you needed to do was to set up companion so it matches your particular Taranis exactly. That's in Settings - Settings - Radio Type.

ONLY AFTER you've done that, should you download the firmware for the Taranis. That's by File - Download, and save it somewhere you can remember.

Once dowloaded, it needs to be written to the Taranis. At this stage you need to ensure that you're writing the version (filename) that you just downloaded.

companion s/w = 2.1.9

i have tried installing both eu and _en

after writing to Tx err message - new f/w not compatible with one currently installed.