DX18QQ troubleshooting binding to AR8000

Hello All,

I'm new to model flying and in assembling my trainer model I'm struggling to complete the bind process.

I have a DX18QQ which is running the latest firmware from the Spektrum website. I've tried 2 x AR8000 Rx's and havent had any success with either.

The arrangement is 2s 3000mah Lipo to a Turnigy regulator which offers the correct voltage and amps as far as I can tell. The Rx's with the bind plug in place starts up and begins flashing its orange LED as I'd expect.

The problem is that I start up the transmitter, whilst holding the bind button down and the screen confirms it is attempting to bind, however the Rx simply doesn't alter the flashing LED at all. I've tried at varying distances and that has no effect.

The wiring is all correct, with +, - and signal lead from the regulator in place. I've attempted removing the signal lead but this has no effect. I've attempted both DMSX and DSM2. I've attempted X-Plus Active and Inhibited. Always using 22ms Frame Rate.

I'm sure this could be any number of problems, so any suggestions will be greatly received, prior to me contacting Spektrum Customer Services!

Karl

Advert

Do you have a satellite RX connected to the AR8000?

Also you say "I start up the transmitter, whilst holding the bind button down and the screen confirms it is attempting to bind".

With my DX18QQ I'd already have the TX powered up, I'd select the bind menu and after the RX is powered up with the bind plug in I'd finally select Bind - No powering up whilst any buttons are depressed.....

Umm..... I have AR8000's running with the 18QQ no problem.

I sometimes have issues Binding in the garage (big metal doors). Try outdoors and get a good 6-10ft between the TX and RX (even better put yourself in between the TX and RX antennas).

Unplug any servo's or ESC's etc that maybe connected to the RX. Just have the power and the bind plug in the appropriate socket.

Does the RX LED change flashing sequence during the bind attempt or is the 'flash' rate constant throughout never changing?

Is the bind plug okay - I know its only a piece of wire between two pins but is it electrical sound -- try another bind plug.

Still struggling with this one if anyone has any suggestions?

I've tried two AR8000's and two bind plugs... The rx seems to have correct power as I've tried plugging in the Telemetry TM1000 and it also enters bind mode but doesn't make a difference.

I'm certain it must be a problem with the settings of the Tx but I'm unsure what to check / change?

Karl

Thanks Denis,

All is correct until the turning on of the Tx which doesn't affect the Rx's LED's (they don't change).

I'll try an alternative power source to check that, but at the moment is a 2S Lipo to Turnigy regulator (which is suitable for 7.4v even though it starts at 8v on the description **LINK**).

Off to the local club as soon as I can arrange it so hopefully they'll help me out...

Karl

The bond fails, and that's the message accordingly. Both the receiver and the satellite flashes, and the transmitter looks as though it's binding however it simply doesn't affect the flashing LED's of the Rx.

I've definitely set the Tx to DSMX and not DSM2, and I've tried both frame rates to no avail...

Karl

Posted by Karl Anderson on 08/08/2016 20:36:45:

Hi Colin,

It's a used Tx that was working... New to me and arrived in a hard case so it's unlikely to have been damaged in transportation. I'm unsure if there's anyway of checking whether it is actually putting out an RF signal?

Not with out binding it or a frequency scanner. I'm stumped. Can you borrow another Tx and/or Rx and do some checking?