Large scale C-130

Hi all.

After attending the LMA event at Elvington this weekend my mind has started wandering once again to a large scale build. The flying was good as always and theer were some great models, but alot of the models i've seen year on year with very little new stuff making it to the event.

This in mind i'd like to do something to help bring new models to the circuit. For a long time I've fancied having a crack at the wonderfull C-130 Herc as i think this could make a great display model and provide plenty of oportunity to include feature modelling such as cargo drops, chaff, lights, guns, and maybe even a rocket assisted take off (why the heck not).

To get this off the ground though im looking for some help. Does anyone know of any plans or kits in existance for a C-130 with a minimum 6ft span?

Any help / advice greatly appreciated

Regards

Barry

Advert

YES,

I have always loved the Herc and also went on a hunt many years ago

I got a set of plans for mine 108" span !! from the USA via a google link I cant remember ... Think it was a USA Guy who was a prolific scale builder - they are quite old (80's) but the build is not difficult - mostly white foam etc...

The fiddly bit was the cowls which i made from scratch.

She runs 4 x 0.32s which is ample power - is easy to fly and glorious sound in the air. Only trouble i have is I have scale exhausts ( Just engines) and with the inverted engines pushes the tanks too high so they flood.

If doing again i would not change much other than a rethink on the exhausts - electric is an option but the sound is nothing like the sweet drone from the 4 IC engines cheeky

I will look out the plans and let you know if your interested... I have loads of build pics along the way too.....

She is still in one piece, despite an engine out arrival and rebuild.. just waiting for a nose wheel mod then I will fly again

Steve

First pic is the night we cut out the basic parts from foam..

hercules1.jpg

Second one is the day of the maiden .. happy or what !!

dscn2264.jpg

I wont play unless you go electric wink

C-160 81" span, B-25 93" span, B-17 100" span, Lancaster 98" span, Sunderland 90" span, all electrickery powered, and never had an 'engine' out asymmetric problem.

But then I do accept there are still many 'who love the smell of fuel in the morning', and the afternoon, and the evening.

Perhaps your not allowed in the LMA unless you smell of  ....... cheeky

Ray (couldn't find an emoticon for 'tongue in cheek)

Edited By eflightray on 16/08/2016 14:56:28

I would consider electrics and run a sound box to add a better sound track.

Running four four bladed props on electric though should still give a nice hum.

Ill decide on the power plants when i settle on scale i think. Electric is apealling for peace of mind more than anything else.

One consideration though i guess will be the trade off in weight. Which would weigh more?

4 x IC engines, mounts, throttle servos, fuel bottle / fuel ect or 4 x electric motors, esc's and batteries?

Anyone know which would weigh more?

AN OS .46 LA set up or an simialr power electric set up?

The 87-inch palmer plans based kit is looking good. >>

i think that will give me plenty of scope for some feature modelling and present a good scale in the air. >>

I am very tempted to go electric on this for some peace of mind but I’m not that ofay with electrics yet. Could anyone give some advice on a suitable power set up to replace the 4 x OS .25FP engines the plan was drawn for?>>

The 'power set up' could be left quite late, as a lot could depend on just how heavy it all works out.

Assuming you haven't built a model for electric power before, they can be built quite a fair bit lighter than an IC powered model as they don't have to put up with the engine vibration, (or the 'don't worry about weigh, just slap a bigger engine in it' attitude).

Weight, the lack of it, can let scale multi-motor models fly in a much more scale like manner, (slower). Also the bigger you go the better and slower they can look.

But big also means how will you transport it, how will it break down if required to fit in a car.

Scale features, although nice, can often just add weight and will only get viewed when the model isn't flying.

What about retracts, opening rear doors, etc etc ?

Build materials ?, are you a balsa die hard, or would you consider using one of the foam materials, or a mixture of both balsa and foam ?

Basically an awful lot to think about and plan before you need to consider what to power it with.

Ray.

Some of mine --- **LINK**