Painting on Solatex

Dave Potter

I guys, I have just finished building myself a electric Junior 60. I have covered it with Solatex and given it two coats of cellulose dope to fill in the weave, to keep the dirt out. Now I need to do some brush painting on the wings, can anyone tell me what paint to use….

Thanks for any help you can give me….

Advert

Now that you've used dope I'd guess any cellulose based paint would work - coloured dope? Probably any enamel or water based paint system would work too. I think the last time I brushed dope I did the colour in Humbrol enamels, but that was somewhere around 1980. If you wanted to spray it then I'd go for spray cans of car paint from Halfords or similar.

Cellulose paint doesn't brush well, new paint softens the previous layers and it drags leaving brush marks. Enamel goes over celly fine, but not vice versa, celly pickles enamel like paint stripper, which can be a problem for future repairs. Personally, I'd stick with celly, mask and spray. stu k