Building of an RV 4 for kit production

Advert

Posted by barry knight on 01/11/2016 21:20:41:

This picture below shows the Engine mount. It is fitted with sideways slidding tabs that interlock onto the fire wall. I have tested this design too to destruction to ensure it will be strong enough. It will also be adjustable in length to accomodate different motors. The electric mount will follow on the 3rd aeroplane.20161101_184245.jpg

Edited By barry knight on 02/11/2016 09:20:13

Posted by Richard Kendrick 1 on 02/11/2016 09:22:02:

Looking very impressive Barry! Is it still looking like November that you will have kits ready?

Thank you. I am trying for that Richard. Test flights will give me the answers! If it all goes well I am hoping to put a few out for end of November... This is also weather dependant as you know! I have ordered Sample boxes today for packaging, and will start compiling instructions for the build along with photos etc.

I've always liked the Vans designs, they look as though they were models first. Top marks for your design, inspect test methods. I doubt that many of our ARTFs are as carefully researched. I was an aircraft tradesman in the RAF too so I recognise the thought process behind your methods - especially the frangible links in the cockpit. We were (quite rightly) paranoid about loose articles jamming controls weren't we? I have just one thought that you might consider. Most models of this size can have a wide variety of propulsion systems fitted and their weight distribution can vary greatly. I see you have thought of including access and support in the rear fuselage for the servos etc, love it. Will there be room for batteries too? I have changed from glow to small petrol engines and they are bigger and heavier than a glow engine of similar power so getting the balance right without adding ballast, which I refuse to do, is a problem. There is also an ignition system to consider. I had to make my own access panels, in the models I have, so I could fit the 2 sets of batteries behind the wing to get the c of g right. Both of these designs, one an ARTF the other a plan, were over-engineered compared to yours so making access panels was a pain but not a big problem.  Access to the rear fuselage is always useful anyway, even if it's only to check the control runs after an incident! Just a thought. Love what you're doing and looking forward to the kit.

Edited By Philflyer on 02/11/2016 11:32:03

Hi there Philflyer. Good to hear from a fello Raffy. Yes it was really emotional to put scales on the wings on proto 1 and pull till they broke! My scales go to 25 kg's and they maxed out with no cracking or breaking! Had to put my back into breaking them... They finally went at the centre section . I doubt we will be able to break them in flight. Stronger than I would have imagined.

I havent thought of putting a gas motor in ? I don't have any experience with them, I will however look into it. There is plenty of room for batteries where the fuel tank is now. I recon I could get at least 2 3500MA 4 cell batteries in there for electric and still have them hidden. We will see. Would an ignition unit fit in the ply engine mount ( how big is it? ) When I come to sell them I will be including an ideas/ complaints form and I will be on hand for any support needed, be it making up different engine mounts etc..

Thanks for tunning in.

• 2 weeks later...