Futaba 8FG

Phil 9

I have a futaba 8Fg Fasst tx/rx combo that I am very happy with

I have not been following the futaba developments so I'm a little behind the curve

is the FASST system now dead in the water?

is there any way I can add telemetry to my set now? I'm not looking for anything fancy but some indication on battery life in my electric models would be usefull

Advert

• 3 weeks later...

Another question about this transmitter.

I never did buy a charger for this transmitter opting to take out the battery to charge.

But I am getting fed up with this now and I wish to charge it using the side charging port. Is there any way to do this without a futaba charger? If not what charger will I need?

Hi

This is a very relevant thread for me as well

Mine is a T8J and the charger is a little strange (threads elsewhere on this) as it will say fully charged but the battery clearly isn't as a seperate charge with the battery out shows it will take more.

Back to this thread, my TX has a very thin charge socket, unlike my other TXs. Is there a charger that fits it, I'm not great at soldering, even if I could get the plug? So at the moment, like the OP, I'm taking the battery out.

Posted by Stuart Z on 17/09/2016 10:45:40:

Hi

This is a very relevant thread for me as well

Mine is a T8J and the charger is a little strange (threads elsewhere on this) as it will say fully charged but the battery clearly isn't as a seperate charge with the battery out shows it will take more.

Back to this thread, my TX has a very thin charge socket, unlike my other TXs. Is there a charger that fits it, I'm not great at soldering, even if I could get the plug? So at the moment, like the OP, I'm taking the battery out.

The reason for the smaller jack plug is that Futaba's newer sets operate on 6v rather than the older 9.6v systems.

The smaller plug prevents the older 9.6v chargers being used resulting in the smoke escaping from your new radio. The small adaptor pictured at the bottom right will plug into the 4.8/6v receiver battery socket. The newer wall chargers have two female plugs rather than the older male/female setup.

image.jpeg

To charge mine I bought a co ax plug from the local electronics shop - Jay cars down here in NZ - and soldered up a lead to plug into my HK charger that I us for Li Po's and MiH batteries. Works fine and I don't have to take the battery out of the Tx. Take the Tx to the store as the plug/socket size is a bit smaller than usual.

I know you might not want to hear this Phil - and I thought of posting it last time but pulled back. But as you have returned to the topic I will brave this view,... please accept that this is comin from a "good place" with agenuine intention of making you aware of another possible solution.

You want telemetry right? Well I had a Futaba 8FG - I sold it on ebay. I also sold all my FASST receivers. With the money I bought a new Taranis and the same number of 8XR FrSky receivers. I had money left over to buy a selection of sensors sufficient to equipe all my models. And indeed at the end I still had cash in my hand.

The Traranis of course has full telemetry capability plus audio etc.

That was nearly two years ago - I have not regreted that action for one instant! It was an excellent decision. Sometimes its time to move on.

Just a thought,...

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 18/09/2016 19:01:41:

I know you might not want to hear this Phil - and I thought of posting it last time but pulled back. But as you have returned to the topic I will brave this view,... please accept that this is comin from a "good place" with agenuine intention of making you aware of another possible solution.

You want telemetry right? Well I had a Futaba 8FG - I sold it on ebay. I also sold all my FASST receivers. With the money I bought a new Taranis and the same number of 8XR FrSky receivers. I had money left over to buy a selection of sensors sufficient to equipe all my models. And indeed at the end I still had cash in my hand.

The Traranis of course has full telemetry capability plus audio etc.

That was nearly two years ago - I have not regreted that action for one instant! It was an excellent decision. Sometimes its time to move on.

Just a thought,...

BEB

I see your point. Futaba were a little slow with their developments regarding telemetry and it seemed they could not make their mind up regarding protocols. there are some threads on here discussing the issue , I swapped from spectrum to futaba because of their reputation for reliability and in that respect it has been 100% reliable.

I don't think I am ready to swap transmitters at this stage for the sake of telemetry. But I will bear that point in mind when I do want  a new transmitter

Edited By Phil 9 on 18/09/2016 19:25:58

Hi Phil. As for the charging issue. I am not familiar with the 8FG. I am an 8j man. As far as I know it's an odd ball battery wise. Pretty sure it's 6 cell 7.2 volts. I don't know if it uses the old fat plug or the newer thin one. My feeling is however that with the right plug you can probably use the old 9.6 volt charger. I don't believe that will blow anything up as they are 50mA so will just try to charge a 7 volt pack a bit swifter. I also am sure that the newer fast charge wall wart chargers for the 4.8 or 6 volt battery in the 6 or 8 j charge it just fine albeit a bit slower.

I really don't think it's a great idea to keep removing the battery to charge it but obviously you already own a suitable charger it's just that it doesn't plug into the tx. Why not use that but make up a lead to plug into the TX charge socket in the say that Nigel suggested. You don't need to go to NZ just toddle into Maplin with the TX. Alternatively if you don't fancy making leads the Futaba wall wart as shown in the picture has 2 rx outlets uses an adapter for the TX. If you can get that on its own it's even easier

This charging thing is more complicated than it seems at first. Futaba (or Robbe in Germany) also delivered the 8FG with a 2s2p LiIon Battery. If you have this battery in your set you are in trouble, because it has a battery protection circuit that will not balance the battery but switch off when the lower voltage cell is at shutdown voltage, or when charging, when the higher voltage cell is full. With cells drifting over time the amount of charge available diminishes to the point of unusability. And then the transmitter will suddenly switch off without warning. My wife lost an expensive F3B model because of this flaw.

Lorenz

Posted by Lorenz Mueller on 19/09/2016 11:39:21:

This charging thing is more complicated than it seems at first. Futaba (or Robbe in Germany) also delivered the 8FG with a 2s2p LiIon Battery. If you have this battery in your set you are in trouble, because it has a battery protection circuit that will not balance the battery but switch off when the lower voltage cell is at shutdown voltage, or when charging, when the higher voltage cell is full. With cells drifting over time the amount of charge available diminishes to the point of unusability. And then the transmitter will suddenly switch off without warning. My wife lost an expensive F3B model because of this flaw.

Lorenz

I double checked mine and it is a 7.2v 1700mAh Ni-MH battery

Posted by Ultymate on 19/09/2016 15:03:32:

I run mine on a 2S lipo which I can charge through the socket on the rear of the TX and every now and then I open the slide on the bottom of the TX pull out the balance lead and give the pack a balance charge without disconnecting the pack from the trannie

where did you get your charge lead

Posted by Phil 9 on 19/09/2016 17:25:44:
Posted by Ultymate on 19/09/2016 15:03:32:

I run mine on a 2S lipo which I can charge through the socket on the rear of the TX and every now and then I open the slide on the bottom of the TX pull out the balance lead and give the pack a balance charge without disconnecting the pack from the trannie

where did you get your charge lead

Phil I made one up myself, I had a spare plug that fitted the socket on the rear .