Advert

To save you waiting for the mag to arrive I looked my copy of that RCME up and it says

CG 2.75 inches from LE

elevator plus & minus 3/8 inch

aileron plus & minus1/4 inch

rudder plus & minus 1 and1/4 inch

no sidethrust

no downthrust

the article says " aileron & elevator throws indicated produce quite a hot ship so if in doubt reduce them initially or set dual rates to 70percent "

Yoy won't have wasted your money on the that RCME because there are some interesting articles including Mike Keay's Super Chandelle plan article ( only a tiny, tiny plan though but enough to give inspiration )

Did you actually say 5 ounces in the tail ! I expected a decimal point ( making it 1/2 oz ) or a misprint of nose!

What is the total weight of the model?

There is no weight specified in the article as far as I can see. What it does say ( or imply ) is that the designers model was made with ply sides and that ply was scrap from housebuiling in Canada. So perhaps not proper liteply for fuselage sides.

The easiest way of putting 5 oz in the tail would be to place the nicad right at the back and / or put 2 servos right at the tail.

For those not familiar with this plan it's 48 inch span by 9.25 inch chord so it's just over 3 sq ft wing area. Very fat wing section. so 3 pounds would be fine, 3.5 pounds OK but at 4 pounds a rather heavy wing loading at 21 oz per sq foot.

It would be interesting to see a photo or two and in particular the servo relocation which might help others who decide to build this slightly unusual looking plane.

For anyone else interested in the Manxman plan number Mag 45 is still available from MyHobbyStores together with a foam wing. As with all RCME and RM etc plans I think you can still buy a photocopy of the original article when you buy the plan. However you need to specify the magazine month & year.

The article states " Loops are rapid, knife edge and inverted flight very steady "

It's a bit surprising that this was not a popular model. It was a free plan and a handy size. Fat wing section, easy construction. Why was it not built in large numbers?

Douglas's model looks much nicer than the original magazine example - the horizontal white line along the fuselage makes all the difference. You can submit a photo and / or a review to MYHobbyStores and I think if they use it they still give you ' points ' which count towards some discount when you buy plans. But just having your photo used would be reward enough I think.

Edited By kc on 31/08/2016 11:09:52

Edited By kc on 31/08/2016 11:35:56

Posted by Douglas Wheelhouse 1 on 31/08/2016 11:03:32:

Hi Richard,

Fancy doing one?. The only difference to the plan is I did a built up wing instead of foam.

Hi Douglas,
The Snark - RM plan 89 (now on the X-list) is possibly next on my build list.
I've had this plan for about 30 years & not got around to building it yet!
The Manxman is going on the list for a future model.

The Xlist plans are now back into MyHobbyShop - the only difference is they cost extra! The Snark now costs an unbelievable 22.50

Is the RM 89 Snark the same as the RCM ( USA) Snark by Mike Hollison? If so the plan and original RCM article are available free on Outerzone

also there is a DickTwomey glider of the same name on Outerzone

Edited By kc on 31/08/2016 12:29:36

• 1 year later...

Just found the forum on my Manxman design. Very pleased some of you are building it. The one pictured is great. I have built several and latterly moved the servos back behind the wing TE level to counteract the "nose heaviness". I tried one with a shallower airfoil but much prefer the deep one of the original. I also designed a .60 size which was published in the April 2013 Model World. I personally prefer this larger model. The .40 was also published as a free plan in the French MRA magazine just after RCME. ( With their approval as they had MRA contact me.) So, thank you all for your interest. Fred Knox. (Dr.F.W.Knox)