Cambrian Planes Akrostar

Tony H

Hi Guys,

I've been looking for a good kit to build for an aerobatic plane preferably semi scale and good for a 50-80 sized four stroke engine.

I came across this Akrostar from Cambrian Planes but I can find very little about it online. Has anyone built and flown one, if so how good is it?

Advert

I had one about 20 years ago and Bob is right. That tapered wing will bite you (tip stall) if you're not careful.

Mine destroyed itself when I pulled a bit too much 'up' at high speed from level flight. Pulling up into the climb it flicked into a manoeuvre that I couldn't possibly describe, and was even less able to control before the ground intervened. I was possibly not quite experienced enough for the model at the time - the piloting error was mine in hindsight. Prior to that I'd been caught out a couple of times with tip stalls, once cart-wheeling on landing.

I read a review some time ago (5 or 10 years ago) in one of the mags. It also mentioned these flight characteristics, though you had to read "between the lines" a little to realise what the reviewer meant!

Thanks Guys,

I'm looking for a nice build project I was hoping I could build a semi scale/scale kit of an Akrostar, CAP 232, Extra that type of plane. I do however love the Super Chipmunk in American flag livery but I can't find a non arf kit anywhere.

I'm not really looking for another sports plane.

I'm not really after a bipe a little too much work for me.