Durafly Excalibur

Advert

Warning - Marketing-speak alert... wink

Forged by a King in a distant realm, the legendary Excalibur is here.

Rule the sky with the most anticipated Durafly release this year. The Excalibur must be flown to be truly appreciated. Innovative design features, such as the cantilever forward swept wing, V-tail tail surfaces, incredibly strong construction and stunning lines.

Just like the legendary sword, Excalibur's strength is paramount. The engineers at Durafly were given their hardest challenge yet, to design a wing that is ultra thin but incredibly strong in EPO foam!
The wing has carefully positioned carbon fibre reinforcement and pre-tensioned glass fibre strips. The fuselage is feature packed with a square carbon fibre tube and glass fibre strips. The V-tail along with control surfaces are reinforced. All these features combine to make the Excalibur a weapon.

Servos are all pre-installed with a whopping 3542 800kv Aerostar brushless outrunner motor up front. 60amp Aerostar brushless speed controller. Two piece removable wing makes assembly fast with wire-free PCB connection between the wing and fuse.

Features:
• Highly compressed EPO foam construction
• Available in both PnF and Kit variants
• Nose cone supplied for slope soaring
• Reinforced with carbon fibre and glass fibre
• Extreme speed, Awesome manoeuvrability
• Bolt together plug and play design
• Unique forward sweep wing design
• V-tail tailplane
• Aerostar 3542 800kv brushless outrunner
• Aerostar 60amp brushless ESC
• Folding 13x7 Aerostar carbon fibre propeller
• Quality Servos
• PCB servo wing connector
• Stunning looks
• Intake cooling features
• Ready to fly in minutes

Specs:
Wing span: 1600mm
Length: 1010mm
Flying weight: 1250g
Controls: 4 Channel (Ailerons, Elevator, Rudder (V-Tail), Throttle)
ESC: Aerostar 60amp brushless ESC
Motor: 3542-800kv brushless outrunner
Propeller: Aerostar folding carbon fibre 13x7

Required:
Minimum 4ch Transmitter capable of V-Tail mixing
Appropriate 4ch receiver
1800~2200mAh 4S LiPoly high "C" rated battery

Edited By MattyB on 14/09/2016 10:40:09

Posted by MattyB on 14/09/2016 10:39:47:
Warning - Marketing-speak alert... wink
Forged by a King in a distant realm, the legendary Excalibur is here.

Makes you wonder what additional feats Arthur might have achieved if Excalibur did indeed have

"a whopping 3542 800kv Aerostar brushless outrunner motor"

installed up front. No H&S police around in those days to say "Now, Arthur, be sure you take the prop of before you start waving that sword at people, otherwise it could be VERY dangerous"

• 3 months later...

Finally maidened my Excalibur this afternoon - what a great model! It is true that these early ones have had some relatively significant issues either the firewall (too thin) and prop assembly (badly out of balance and blades poorly terminated at the hub end). Luckily having had next to no free time in the months running up to Christmas meant others found these weak spots before I could maiden, so I reinforced the firewall and fitted an Aeronaut spinner and Cam blades (12x9) prior to maiden and all went swimmingly. Fast, precise, bags of thrust and enough speed (~100mph with a nice whistle!) for me. Highly recommended, though they are currently out of stock (hopefully they will fix the issues before batch two is manufactured).

• 1 month later...

Just a 1/32 ply disc, drilled with suitable cooling holes and glued in without UHU POR. You could use pretty much anything though tbh - acrylic would be good, and there is even a file on the RCGroups thread to 3D print your own precisely fitted version. Some have also reported that the fuse is weak at the back of the wing where the air vents are, so I am going to reinforce mine with carbon strip and CA tonight. Pics to follow...