Hitec Aurora 9x how to... Glider set spoilerons?

QUADDRA

😤Help,

Can anyone explain the full process from new model GLIDER to completion

The transmitter - Hitec Aurora 9x in mode 2

The model - Valenta Twin.

Ok we need instructions to set up this glider with the option of using the ailrons as spoilers / butterfly

Using the throttle stick to control spoilers?

Probably something simple but we are old👴🏼😀

Edited By QUADDRA on 14/09/2016 21:14:25

Advert

Further info: The Valenta Twin is an all glass glider with Rudder, Elevator & Ailerons. No flaps, No air brakes.

The Hitec Aurora 9X is a completely new transmitter for us so learning curve is , well at the moment not a curve😤😂

Help would be very appreciated.

only Elevator, Rudder & Ailerons. No flaps no air brakes.

Hi Quaddora. You can set up spoilerons on the A9 using the throttle stick by going into the Butterfly setting in the Model menu. You set up the aileron reflex values you want, ( don't have them maxed out as you need to leave some aileron movement to control the model, 60 - 70% is good), then the elevator compensation and you just miss out setting up the flaps. This is what I do.

You can also set up spoilerons using the Landing setting in the model menu, but then this is activated by a switch.

If your model is a high wing glider, the elevator compensation will usually, (but not always) be upward. If it is a low wing glider then it is usually down elevator.

I've just set this up on an Aermacchi MB339 PSS model last night.

Steve

A470soaring

Thanks for your replies.

Steve,

We followed the manual and online instructions as best we could so selecting Glider and so on.

Our first thought was to go to Butterfly which we did but when we tried to choose a control button from the line diagram screen the throttle stick isn't shown?

On the pictures online it's there but when we follow the directions our diagram on the screen doesn't show it.

Any ideas?

I think with Butterfly the throttle stick is a default setting, because you've already told the TX that you don't have a motor. But you can check this.

So this is one of my gliders setup with crow. You see on the right hand side of the screen it says Switch and I have selected SW-G. I do this to isolate the throttle stick, so I don't accidentally activate even a small amount of crow whilst I'm flying, then I flick switch G when I'm ready to make a landing. It's just something I do. If you don't want to select a switch, you just leave it set at NULL.

img_3195.jpg

When you have set up your aileron and elevator values, tap that Switch button which should say NULL and it will take you to the screen below

img_3196.jpg

Here you can set which switch to use, if you care to do so. But the important thing for you is on the left where it says T. STICK : Linear, this is your throttle stick. You can of course change this and move it to a slider, or a switch. I've done it on a switch when I had an electric powered glider, and set Servo Speed to slow down the movement a little.But this isn't what you want to do.

I thought I'd better show you a picture of the screen with the model I programmed last night which has ailerons and elevator only. The difference between this shot and the others is because at the beginning of the set up process I told the tx I didn't have flaps.

img_3197.jpg

I hope this helps and explains well enough.

Oh, and this is the glider I programmed.

Aermacchi MB339 PSS

GLIDER... you'll scare the rest of us off the slopes😀 Very nice. Looks like a modified Hawk to me.

Still a little little confused as it seems like we did pretty much the same but with different outcomes.
As you say we also thought that the throttle switch would be a default setting and that's exactly where we went to try and set it up. We went to the butterfly settings but the throttle stick didn't appear in the select diagram screen.
We expected it to look like this with throttle on the right but it isn't there.

So think it's got to be a mistake further back in the settings.
One area we were a little confused was when it asked for throttle switch. We thought we needed the throttle switch but not a switch for throttle. Any how we decided that it was a switch we needed so selected yes. When this didn't work we decided to try again saying no throttle switch. Still it doesn't appear in the switch select diagram screen so still not sure about this selection.
Basically our selections went like this:

Glider
Wing Type 2 aileron
Tail type Normal
Motor control ?
Retracts No
Do you have spoiler No
Then we head on over to Butterfly & diagram screen but no motor switch available in the diagram.

We also don't have flaps so selected no flaps.
Not sure about the selection at motor control?
We assumed the spoiler question was no as we don't have separate spoilers either.
Apart from that I don't see where else we are going wrong.

Appreciate your help.

Motor control should have been NO. If you said YES then it would make the stick the default control.

But did you go into the 2nd page of the Butterfly menu to see if T.Stick was set to Linear? If not then you should do. If T.Stick doesn't say Linear then you need to tap on the arrow next to it and change it to Linear.

The beauty of the A9 is its flexibility to move controls around. In the past I've even had throttle on a switch, because I only needed full throttle to get the glider up to height before shutting the motor off. You can have just about anything you want on either a switch or slider.

I have a 3m F5J glider which I have throttle on the stick and crow/butterfly on a switch, but I experimented with this to see which I preffered crow to be on, a switch or slider. The switch won. And if you have it on a switch then instead of it being, BANG and its on, you can slow down the servo speed so the flaps and ailerons deploy at a slower speed.

It may be an idea for you to delete this model memory and start again? It's such a simple procedure to do on the A9 that it would only take a few minutes to delete and reprogram whilst you're sat down having a cuppa tea.

Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 15/09/2016 08:37:04:

( don't have them maxed out as you need to leave some aileron movement to control the model, 60 - 70% is good),

Steve

A470soaring

Steve

I don't have an Aurora but check you don't have the option, or if it's done automatically, to suppress aileron differential as the ailerons are raised, this gives more down aileron movement as butterfly/spoilerons are deployed, preserving aileron control.