The Flying Doctor

Hello Martyn,
Just checking, is every thing OK?
I enjoy your articles very much and get worried when you don't have an update for a while. With relocating, I know you will be very busy getting the new place the way you way. However could you spare a few minutes to let those who follow your adventures
know what is happening with you.
Take care,
Denny

Denny, you can relax, he's back.

There I stood quite delighted. we got our picture took. The venue? RCM&E Marquee on Sunday of the "Nats". Couldn't be better,,,Oh yes it could, David our host, put it on full view in a thread here, somewhere.

I have a sneaking feeling the ex bog trotter was very nervous being at the Nationals, all those goodies could have left his moths starving. I know I had to let mine go, I could no longer afford to feed them.

Quite a tale he has of the tribulations of house rebuilding, which I hope they are getting near to the end of.

You did not miss much, further North Martyn, as we have had barely worthwhile flying weather.

• 1 month later...
Ochone, Ochone! Second childhood at the flying field Just keep in mind old chap, that when someone asks how far away can you fly that model mister? that the answer is as far away as you can see. Not quite true that, as it's only as far as you can keep control and you have said that you can see a long way. Dot says it is nice to know you both are settling in. The pleasant shopper was not mentioned this time so we hope she is enjoying it all now.

• 2 weeks later...
Martyn
What an amazing coincidence!
I was watching this You Tube video yesterday of Hurricane production at Longbridge showing its tubular 'space frame' fuselage with internal wire bracing and its substantial aluminium clad wings.

The wing section was Clark YH, basically a Clark Y with a slight reflex to the trailing edge. This section was apparently chosen as it was well understood, gave a good depth to the wing making gun installation easier (The Mk1 could house 12x303s compared to the Mk1 Spits 8 and carried more ammo as well). The slight reflex gave better stability at speed, rather an important attribute for a fighter!
The famous pilots comment was "You sit in a Hurricane but you put on a Spitfire".
Yes, a true work horse.

• 1 month later...
Ochone Ochone, the Man has taken to the dark side. Pointy balls played with, using hands and all that talk about women, and him thats seen more of them than most of us

See since he moved South, corrupted become, he has. At least oblong spec's can be got to fit the new eye shape aquired watching all that motoring on four wheels via the goggle box.

Some saving grace though, all seems not to be lost,,,, yet! A reasonable mention of a proper hobby can still be managed, and all the problems of the what goes up but won't come down landing gear. Which could be avoided by getting a Ben Buckle kit called "Novice" and a back to basics Diesel Motor.

Old fuel often works well.. as a weed control substance in out of the way places, thankfully none of mine is old yet, not had some of it more than four years and it still made the correct noise a couple of months ago. Stay well lad, and the lass too.

• 1 month later...

Keeps his wits about him he does, a fair old bit of sightseeing mentioned in the latest missive as well as a bunch of interesting names of places. I hope you got in a decent supply of Balsa and stuff before the snow slowed you down Martyn. Snow is not something we have seen a lot of, here beside Ben Nevis. Rain now, a near record for the last year, with 301 days of measurable precipitation.

A nice cottage you have Martyn, and I think you can be well pleased with what you and the good lady have done to getting it to your liking. Nice to know you are getting over your affliction and no longer seem miss your BOG.

Always enjoy your articles.

Given that you're near Newcastle, you might be interested in the Sopwith Camel factory, which is a warehouse near the roundabout to Kenton, on the far side of the town moor (fairly near the flying strip). I never managed to find time to investigate it myself, but one of the local pilots told me about it. They apparently used to land on the moor.

• 1 month later...

Nope, I have not forgoten the scribe as no doubt he will be pleased to know wink 2 just somehow I seem to be busy yet not getting much done. I hope the new season is not all being spent gardening, leaving time for gaining flying skills if not in gaining new models. Now the Waterplane season has started as well as all the land based Flyins and Shows we might get some comments from that aspect? Strange, the PC won't do carraige return for a new paragragh, or p'raps it is a quirk elsewhere. See you somewhere this year folks, possibly.

• 2 months later...

Been tardy I have, trying to think of a reply to the pen pusher or should that be typist? yeah should be! The problem I have is how do I reply without slagging the lad off? Seems I don't need to worry about that, he would think something wrong with me if I didn't. He claims. Ohh Ohh me keyboard carraige return button has taken a lazy spell and stopped working. Talking off worry, Martyn surprised me, he saw an advert in RCM&E for sale stuff in Fort William, HE THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE ME.

Hoorah, it works again. Anyway, I was pleased to say I am still active. The really sad bit is that the very nice chap doing the selling is no longer with us RIP Clelland.

He has some nice plans for a Model Flying enterprise, and has put a good bit of time into it. As it is a very new thing to his area it is an uphill slog, hopefully with the various advice he is likely to look for and get, he will be the Organiserr of a nice event. I will leave you wondering what on earth it is, as he has some way to go yet. I will also leave it to Martyn whether and when he wants to publish it. Elvington Martyn???? devil

• 1 month later...

I have always enjoyed Martyn's "Tales" but on this last occasion I feel that I have to make some comment. He refers to the WD in WD 40 as "War Department". I read some considerable time ago that the WD stood fro "Water Dispersant" and the "40" was the fortieth "recipe" tried and found to work well.

I am prepared to accept that I may be wrong but will need some convincing...

Malcolm

• 3 months later...

I found the Flying Doc's latest tale a ripper, how many pilots would flown 80 different aircraft types over their career?

I saw a documentary called (Spitfire Women) and to see the spark in their eyes when they spoke of all the aircraft they delivered and mentioning how they often had the flight manual on their lap so they could read up on landing procedures and so on during the flight.

sounds good, in you get, here is the manual if you have any problems refer to the manual for guidance.

they also mentioned that the men of the day couldn't believe they were the pilots that delivered the aircraft to them. I really was in awe of these women when watching the doco as with any of the women that pushed through the gender or racial barriers of the times.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 21/12/2012 05:38:04

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Due to sort of recent and ongoing circumstance at home leaving me with less enthusiasm, as well as time, I have been very lax in reading much on the forum. So, tonight I caught up with not one but TWO episodes of Martyn's Head scratching smiley

I admit to being surprised at us near Ben Nevis not experiencing more of the weather he describes, sure not complaining though. Keep enjoying what you can young chap, says someone not much older.

Hello to the good lady too Martyn, Dot also sends her regards.

• 1 month later...

Not been flying this year Martyn, my time has been otherwise occupied. I am going to use this blog of yours to give a little update to the guys who know us. We, in the Fort William area have seen very little of the really bad weather which most of the rest of the UK has had the unfortunate expeirience of. A slow reprieve from winter, and even had the hills turn quite white last week with the snow down to the eight hundred foot level. Further east the Lecht Ski area had the road closed. Only for a short while mind smiley Even the normal heavy rain decided to go elsewhere.

Now the update I mentioned. Martyn knows My Wife has Motor Neuron Disease, as some of you also know. This is a rapid and progressively very debilating affliction which is Terminal. Only comfort and care. In Scotland perhaps 150 people a year suffer from it. The Support care from all the Medical Services has been outstanding..

Safe Travels to you all

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi Martyn, an excellent bunch of blogs since I last replied. I have just recently started to take an interest in being a little more active and this is perhaps visit four or six or somat since the start of October 2013. I am delighted to read that you and Patricia seem to be having a happy life away from the BOG up North laugh .... Safe travels, from Sunny Today,,, Fort William.

• 1 year later...