The Flying Doctor

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Why am I thinking the long dark nights are having an effect on the main and only  instigator of strange tales to which this thread is related. Perhaps too much building balsa bashing time, or has balse dust have a strange effect on just some people?

Fancy thinking that a little bit of air movement stops flying! Whats wrong with some of those **e**ri**ty things with the propellers in the wrong place. Oh, just to be awkward they have different name, anyway they are on the top  The Poison Pensioners are too far away to give the lad any grief, and he's too far away to bother any sensible folk.

Matchsticks indeed, herself indoors must have seen what he does with real planes and thought Oh That's What They Are For, I must ensure the famliy know

Hindsight being a wonderful thing we should have known the lack of daylight would have this strange effect, as anyone who has a strange fascination for THE BOG must be,,,,
we only visit , and get out of 'em as soon as possible. No comments needed.

Cheers Martyn, get well soon.

• 4 weeks later...
Someone did tell Flytilbroke about your challenge. You

Might not be such a challenge after all, I chickened out when we got the snow. 'Twas beautiful out past the double glazing too, but, just got to be one, yeah? Anyway the but was that I do not like the way my car behaves in the soft slippy stuff, even when it's white.

Discretion kicked me when I thought that the single track road and lane to our Sunday site would not be gritted. Hindsight in the shape of two of my club mates at Fort William took a bit of joy in telling me what a nice day they had, that the snow had been crunchie, not slippy on the road. A field sized smooth runway to play with and me having the ARC Ready 2 floatplane prepped up and good to go.

I will have to pull the digit out and get my Seamaster sorted. It fell apart on the very last flight of the Waperplane season event that I attend. Was it me? Nope, the enquiry established wood fatigue under the wingbolt area. It had just turned nearly black with years of damp creeping in. The tail end was affected too. Still it is not too difficult to sort out, the cost of new covering being the sore part.. Guess Alisdair Sutherland will be even happier as it will be more than a half wing that looks different to the many others out there.

Keep it up Martyn and remember to land gently.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Martyn…! It’s been ages since I last visited the RCME website. Clearly there was a problem, and we lost contact with each other. I’ve only just discovered your follow-up message… I apologise for not having responded earlier.

Here’s a copy of your original query… "I was wondering if you could shed any light on why the Nimrods do these dummy runs across the Airport here, and also at night, black dark at 2100hr and a lot of noise. I find it hard to believe they are practising emergency landings when their base is 200 miles away. Can you help? There is a reply from Dennis Schardt in USA who sees similar activity at his local Air Base. A police Officer here says she thinks they are practising landings, but it might be to try out the radar ground control (who are in bed at home at 2100hr). How is your flying going? Did you find a club near you? Look forward to hearing from you… Martyn."

Assuming that your airfield is Kirkwall: according to the airfield database on my flight simulator, Kirkwall has 3 runways… 090/270, 060/240 and 150/330 degrees. The airfield is served by a couple of radio beacons. One is a Non Directional Beacon (NDB) transmitting on 395.0 MHz. The other is a VHF-Omni Range/Distance Measuring Equipment (VOR/DME) beacon transmitting on 108.6 MHz. The NDB is an old and rather course navigation aid. It simply indicates to the pilot the direction of the beacon so that he can turn towards the airfield. The VOR/DME is more sophisticated. The DME component gives the pilot his range from the beacon. The VOR component allows the pilot to select a particular direction of approach towards the beacon. This enables the pilot to fly down the centreline of an airway, effectively hopping from one VOR to the next. The VOR can also be used to set-up a landing approach to an airfield, and I think this is what your Nimrod pilots are practising. They would select a particular runway heading on their VOR/DME instrument (there are 6 runway headings to choose from at Kirkwall). The instrument would indicate when the aircraft is about to intesect that selected “radial” from the beacon. The pilot would then turn his aircraft onto that radial, which corresponds to the selected runway heading. This sets him up for a landing approach towards his selected runway in bad weather and at night. I gather flying the VOR/DME is quite an art… hence the rationale for lots of practise at remote locations. I’m sorry if they’re troubling you… personally I love the sound and smell of aeroplanes.

Electric gliding coming along slowly… suffering a few trimming (porpoising) problems… nothing catastrophic. Looking forward to some decent flying weather… no contact with a club as yet … they’re miles away.

(P.S. I sent this direct to your email address a week ago. No response, so not sure if you got it.)

All the very best… Bill S.

When I am at Alves I make the most of them,, Nimrods, doing a lot of landing approaches at thier base station. Noisy yes, after a bit I learn to ignore them when I want.

When dusk creeps in I keep trying to get a decent photo of them well lit up. Never managed it yet and can't afford to get a lens that might do the job.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi Martyn, I lived on Orkney for 17 yrs, am coming up on hol next week for 2.5 wks, am bringing a Wot trainer for fun and Friends to have a go , do you have somewhere to fly for take offs and landings? are you on mainland Orkney?  I have been flying on the grass strip at Weyland Bay on previous hols with Puffin Models Sprinter Hotliner but don't fancy flying Glo over the sea.  If you want to get in touch please PM via the forum.
regards Brendan.

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 30/04/2009 14:17:25

• 3 months later...
Nice to see such faith in one`s landing ability triggering a very helpful attitude  , although it seems she had good reason given the proclivity for playing in the "BOG".

I am however, sorry that Martyn has not shown any Nice Waterplanes as the invitation to attend Loch Insh still stands. Not that any invitation is needed.

You are still managing to find something to entertain us with Martyn, well done.

Mossy, met `em at Aviemore in September three years ago. Not having been aquainted with the before I failed to recognise them, looked like pretty little flies buzzing around near the ground at the Cairngorm MFC site. Then I felt my rear getting attacked through my trousers as I was "fettling" my model, later that evening over at the Watersports Cafe at Loch Insh I met them again, only this time I recognised what they were. Not much of a problem then, BUT the following day,,,, ITCH,  from the Ten Pence Coin size lumps, and for ten to fourteen days after. Trying to sit stiiilllllll,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, not allowed to swear

Met them again ar Ainsdale the following year when we were down to Woodvale Rally. Being quite warm the caravan windows were open a bit,,, bad move. A dozen or so lumps in the AM... Citrus candles all night thereafter.

Mossy, of the IC kind. I got a kit that year of an Aerotech International Mosquito, really delighted to get it too. Now because of Martyns exploit (not really) I have just had a look in the Big Box again and as I had planned I WILL be building this over the winter. It is designed for two .40 size IC engines, I will likely fit Irvines as I have two "on the shelf" and well run in. Not likely to be as fast as Martyns` build. I shall fit electronic "glowplug drivers" though, to try and prevent engine stoppage.

Entertaining as always Martyn, is your regular writing exploit.

Martyn,

I enjoy your little stories but they are always filled with tales of woe. You are either trying to fly complicated models or trying to repair crashed ones. With the very best of intentions why not stick to simple single engine no retract aircraft - or is it just a ploy to get from under your wife's feet and spend more time in the garage.
You have wonderful skies there - you need to spend more time in them!

• 2 weeks later...
I have litterally just got back from the orkney isles and what a wonderful place it is. Full of history and wonderful scenery. I stayed on the bay of skail right next to skara bre, i managed to fit  my eflite ultimate in the car to fly on the beach. It was wonderful to fly over the calm bay as the sun sank into the sea. Unfortunately the next morning, while entering a spin. the bloomin battery conecter failed and it spirald into the sand causing some considerable damage. Luckily i had packed some tools and a roll of duct tape and cyno so i had it working that night, but you can imagine that the colour of my language was almost as blue as the the sea. That was my orkney tale. As i write this i am sat in a BnB in the highlands ready for another week on my uncle's farm in linconshire and preying for good weather.

Martyn, as seems the norm, manages to get a comment about = The Bog into his latest offering. I think he is going to be in a state of something on the weekend of L. Insh. The only bog's there are normal ones.

Might get a surprise though, all that 2.4 stuff and few FF9's. I will let him read my manual, IF I can remember to take it, i wonder where he gets the idea that all those buttons actually do something? I always need to study up on the functions every time I need to set something up on it, guess it's age related or p`raps just enjoy the challenge as I always forget to write it down how I did it.

He might even get a shot of a Seamaster given it flies, as it has had botch-up fixes done and camoflaged with whatever various coloured film I had in the offcut box. The weather surely cannot stay Windy and Wet, it has to relent sometime.

The Loony frae Scoonie normally turns up, want some fuel Martyn? call him to make sure he brings what you want.

Dr. Harvey,
 I can understand your feelings about the Mosquito. I love the looks of it. I built a control line model of it way back in the late 50's. Yours flew better than mine. I have never spent so much time on a model to get it just like the plans. Mine had a pair of Fox  .19's on it. I spend an hour getting the engines just right. Balance was per the plans. The sound of two engines feeds the inner person. It sent shivers through me. It took off and promptly came in on the lines. Flew about 15 feet over my head and exploded into a cloud of balsa on the other side of the circle. I still have the plans, I treasure them. Some times when the building table is empty I spread them out and place servos, RX, ESC and two electric motors on and think someday I will build another one.
 Enjoy the Flying Doctor very much. Hope you write a book about flying over the bog some day.
 Denny

• 5 weeks later...
And yes you did mention that place Martyn.

Something about him he has not mentioned,,, He has found a new vocation > TRANNIE CONTROL. A cracking good job he made of this at Loch Insh. Such a considerate fellow too, he refused to try and turn any of our models into submarines, and yes, Patricia is nice, so he wasn't just trying to keep "in" with her.

I guess it is all a matter of degree as further South from him has had more than a fair share of the wet and wind too. I am happy to NOT have the more extreme stuff.

The guys will be happy to meet up again, so don't break all the models in the b**

See, I have not mentioned that place at all

• 1 month later...
Trouble and strife is not so nice, bet your latest surprise concerning London has less. A lot more of real Air too, being less diluted with other gasses. The real Vista, not the painfull type on my computer, will I have no doubt be far more easy on the mark one eyeballs.

I like how you always seem to be sort of asking permission to get toys, I guess you took a bit of psycoholicology when you were at school.

Hello, better half,

If Santa is not as forthcoming as you would like, come in sometimes and say hello, on the Forum. An Islander on floats or Skis would be different, might even work from your private airfield. No! I do not mean the indiginous inhabitants, a twin engine STOL.

BFN, Bob.

• 2 weeks later...
Martyn,

Nice to read that you are now flying a basic one engined jobbie and that I might have had a hand in your decision to do so.
Lucky you that you can fly off from outside your back door I have to travel a few miles for my bit of thrill seeking. Have you ever thought about a heli - now theres a challenge, I got one 2 years ago and I can just about hover round the patch now.
Keep the articles comming and have a nice accident (models) free christmas.

Regards

Stewart Perkins 

Martyn is shy  I have not been to "his" Island but I can say that most on here would be rather shocked at the WIND which rarely lets up especially during the winter months. Trees are really quite short, both in number and height due to this, except in sheltered locations.

We only get to hear about a few of his models and his flying ability, I would not be surprised to see him "hold his own" among his peers at pretty much any flying club. Not many like him on the Island and I only mean model flying  and building.