The Flying Doctor

HI Folks,   Thank you so much for your comments and encouragement. If this goes on at this rate I will have to make a book out of it.

Patricia has my sympathies, too, lots and lots. I will try and send in a picture of her, and you will see what a lucky chap I am.

The Sunderland Gouge flaps are a problem which I need help with. I have pics and a plan I can email if you need further help in understanding my comments.  Thanks again,   Martyn 

"Steady, Lad" as the Churchill Bulldog would say.

Thanks ,Ron, It is great to get your response, and I just love writing and flying. Just flew back on one of the Islander Aircraft in 20 kt wind and fog.  Quite exciting, even for my level of flying. I knew we were home when the Scapa Distillery emerged from the mist.  ITS TRUE,  I TELL YOU!!   Martyn

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, I see, sorry you thought like that Ron - it would not be my nature to have accused you of telling "boggy tales" whatever that may have meant to you ??

In forum circles.... I usually include a persons name ONLY if I am directing the comment at them, rather than the OP.

Anyways.....Cheers mate.... and although running the risk once more of being accused of being  Dick Emery's classic character ... " I still like you "

( followers of my exchanges with my mate Scott over on "I give up" thread will get the meaning of this LOL - )

I see Martyn you have taken the words from my mouth, I was about to suggest you collect all your ramblings , observations and experiences and put them into a book , there must be a few thousand modellers who would buy it! Keep up the excellent and fascinating work !

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Martin and fellow aero-colleagues.

You’re probably used to conversing with people who know all about Radio Control. Well... I'm new to the craft, new to flying model aeroplanes, and I'm also new to this website. But here goes...

My very first RTF E-glider (1.3 m wingspan) ended 50 feet up in a Scots Pine on its maiden flight. It was retreived by our local tree sugeaon. The R/C element has gone dead. The motor was at full power when it entered the tree, and this might have something to do with it. Now, I'd like to learn about the R/C components that go into model aircraft, not just to attempt a repair, but so that I can move on to more sophisticated sailplanes. I’ve ordered David Boddington’s book “Building & Flying Radio Control Model Aircraft”, and I hope it’ll get me started. I'm also getting my nose into some basic Amps/Volts/Ohms/Watts theory. If someone could suggest any other reading, I’d be truly grateful.

I'm aiming to join my local aeromodelling club a.s.a.p. I'm truly impressed with the Orkney Islands. My wife and I live in Galloway, SW Scotland, and we intend visiting Orkney sometime. I'm ex-RAF, by the way... serviced V-Bombers and other a/c types... became an operations analyst with the CAA and MoD... now retired but still tutoring maths.

Best regards... Bill Sandiford.

Dr. Harvey,
 Your writing is the most enertaining thing that I have read on the internet. Just read about the Shark.
 I live near Harrisburg, Pennsylvania and watch different aircraft in their landing patterns. There is a huge one that does what you describe. It comes in until it is low enough to determine if it would have made a safe landing and then turns the fire back up and goes around again. Sometimes for an hour or two. What little I understand is they get more practice landings in with less wear and tear on the aircraft and runway, then they would if they made a full landing.
 Read about Patrica suggesting you buy some thing better than being so frugal. Let her know that she has a fan over here with that attitude. However I also have a box of bits that I go to when I need just a little bit of balsa or ply. No use to burn it as it would not even toast a marshmallo so I guess I will keep it.
                        Happy Holidays