Dremel Workstation

Phil 9

Advert

I have had one for a few years and use quite a lot. Not too bad. Comes in very useful for drilling with small diameter drills that very easily break when drilling without a support. The big benefit is that you get a hole that is at the correct angle to the surface, eg 90 degrees. It can be used for simple routing in soft wood like balsa or sanding/polishing. Just don't expect that you are buying a precision tool. Don't get that for just over 30 pounds. Quite a lot of play so take care. As always, use a punch to guide the drill when drilling metal. The Dremel drill is easy to fit and I have had no issues with it coming loose.

I have a very old but good quality pillar drill my dad acquired for me 30 odd years ago. It has a 1/2" chuck that won't go down to very small sizes but I overcome this by putting small drill bits in a pin vice and putting that in my big drill. It works fine but you need to have a big pillar drill

I have a mains powered Dremel and though I do use it a lot it's not as useful as I thought it would be when I bought it. Fitting a small chuck rather than the collets makes it much handier.

Geoff

Looks very nice Percy - I have one exactly the same but it's washed up and in the cupboard...

As for drilling, I have a small Clarke mill/drill which is excellent for precision drilling up to 3/8" and acceptable for light milling - undercarriage components, fittings etc. I also acquired a redundant floor standing pillar drill from work many years ago at a bargain price (a tenner) which is useful for any larger work.

Edited By Martin Harris on 24/09/2016 11:39:34

I bought one of those Dremel workstations about ten or more years ago, and use it regularly, mainly for drilling holes in printed circuit boards. I agree with Norrland's comment about there being play in it, so the hole position needs marking with a centre-punch or with an etched dot in the PCB, to avoid the drill bit wandering before it bites. But it's more precise than any hand-held drill; I wouldn't be without it.