Se5a squadron colours

Hope this is the right place for this, I have a Duncan Hutson se5a kit and plan on making a start this winter but would really like something a bit more colourfull than the usual, I kinda like the the Canadian "Billy" Bishop scheme with the blue nose and tail flash but was wondering if anybody out thee can reccomend some internet sites or publications with something that is a little different.

Advert

Posted by Tony Richardson on 03/10/2016 21:21:42:

I'm interested Phil where did you find the white one, I couldn't track the sqdr at all?

Best I could do for you? Wings Pallete seems to be a reference library but I'm not sure if they are all genuine or some are new designs.

Edited By cymaz on 03/10/2016 22:13:04

Thanks Cymaz, I missed it after Phil pointed me to that site and I guess it's not white but silver dope. Not sure what is correct because one blurb says 28 were "gifted" to Australia and the above says that aircraft was one of 35 of the RAAF in the 20's, like yourself I am not sure what is scale colour and what is not.

Have to dig some more.

128 aircraft were gifted to Australia from Britain at the end of the WW1. This is known as the Imperial gift . I believe similar gifts were made to Canada, South Africa, India and New Zealand, but not in similar numbers.

Australia Received SE5a, DH9, DH9A, Avro 504 and Sopwith Pup

After receipt and initial operation RAAF SE5a aircraft were re-finished in RAAF Spec V84 aluminium pigmented dope, which was more suited to Australian conditions. The aircraft illustrated is an example.

All gift aircraft retired by 1930.