Removing Solafilm

Hi guys (and ladies),

Does anyone know how to successfully remove Solafilm?

I'm re-inventing my Astro Hog that I got secondhand and the covering is Solafilm (I always use Profilm). When removed it leaves the colour behind. If I was recovering in a similar colour I wouldn't mind but the current colour is dark blue and I want to cover it in yellow. I fear the blue residue will show through.

Any help gratefully received. 

Advert

When well ironed down, Solarfilm adhesive sometimes actually penetrates into balsa. Unless you are prepared to sand it away you may need to paint over any remaining adhesive with a neutral colour.

I have a tin of BMC beige used to paint Austin Allegros and Maxi's that's good for touching-up balsa and lately covering-up carbon fibre and laser burns. If I'm too lazy to go out to the garage to retrieve the paint Tippex is good for touching up small areas.

Damn it, I can remember allegros with their square steering wheels

Thanks for the tips guys. The Hog is an old Flair one (foam wing) and in places the covering feels loose and in others it's like excreta on a digging implement and I may have to try a mixture of both iron and allegro beige . Some may say it's sacrilage to bash a hog but I'm going to chop the nose off and fit an inverted 4 stroke with a balsa cowl.

Again, thanks for your tips. 

Paul I do not envy your task, a pig of a job. I have tried with an iron but found if you were not careful the iron can force the colour into the wood, Small areas I  had success with a gentle blow with a heat gun, then by dabbing masking tape, the colour was lifted by the tapes adhesive, Stubborn areas were over painted .

Hi Neill,

Try this Link BMFA.

You can find out about local clubs,insurance and the handbooks (they can be downloaded) lots of info on flying/takeoff/landing.

Beginners section on this site.

Try  googling and find lots of other sites ,reading material etc. 

When you are ready to  cover your model try this link Solarfilm  nice  videos showing how to cover a model from start to finish with solarfilm.

regards

Kelvin.