retract power supply

adrian smith 4

Hi all, I'm intending to fit e-flite retracts in my hanger monkey plane and I can't remember how to add a separate flight battery to power them thereby not compromising the rx flight battery. I seem to remember an article advising removing the red wire from somewhere but I need advise please. P.S. I have converted my hanger monkey to electric using a purple power 3842 600w motor, 60amp esc and using 3200 4s lipos. it flys like a trainer if you balance it at 85mm from the leading edge and reduce the elevator travel.

Advert

Take 1 Y lead and remove the red wire from the receiver plug. The retracts go in one socket, the retract power supply in the other. This means that only the signal and ground from the retract to receiver are connected, and positive only from retract to it's power supply. Obviously you will need a further Y lead to connect the two retract legs to the first Y.

Can I ask why you want to add this complexity? OK retracts can take a bit of power, but its only really a problem if they stall or jam - which shouldn''t happen!!

An extra power supply for the retracts is a big extra weight burden for a plane with just 600W of power! I certainly wouldn't be putting that additional load in a model that size. Just a suggestion!!

BEB

Yes, you have to take several things into consideration -- the overall power consumption of the radio and servos plus the retracts vs. the rated output of the BEC or receiver battery, plus the outcome if a retract jams, which is not all that uncommon given the beating the undercarriage legs often get.

The doctored Y-lead is a simple solution but, since I've got the right equipment (soldering iron and crimping tool) my preferred method of supplying separate power to the retracts is to solder another black wire onto the existing one, so that the retract (or retract servo) has two black wires, one red, and one white. One black and the white get a standard servo plug, and go to the receiver; the other black and the red get a female servo plug so the auxiliary battery or BEC can plug into it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All, thanks for the info in regard to my retract power supply question. To Moderater, The reason for the separate power supply to the retracts is because of possible abuse when landing!! no ones landings are always perfect, especially mine!! the extra weight is negligible when you take into account the of weight of my plane and the low wing loading. my existing "Hanger Monkey weighs in at 4.5 lbs, flys really well and floats in on landings,( what more can you ask for?) the retract version under construction, (40ic power) will weight very little more as I have lightened the structure some what without compromising strength and I expect it to weigh very close to the existing "monkey". I will be posting pics of the two planes soon to hopefully encourage prospective builders to this fine design. regards Adrian.