Would like to meet other enthusiast.

Carl Solf

Hello enthusiasts.

My name is Carl, from Aberdare, South Wales and retired last year have all ways been interested in R/C flying and now have the time to take it up, have purchased a trainer plane and in the process of building an electric powered glider. But as a beginner would like to meet up with another flyer to assist me with my first flight.

If you could all so assist me with finding some where to fly, it would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Carl.

Advert

Hi Carl and welcome. Matty has pretty well summed it up - if you find a flying site then you will find a club also and there will be plenty of guidance on hand.

Really when learning to fly it's best to do so under the instruction of a BMFA Approved or Qualified instructor. Some people have had success going it alone but only I mention that because if I don't then pretty soon there will be a discussion about whether joining a club or going alone is best. I don't think is particularly helpful, especially when you you have sensibly asked for assistance.

Anyway, there's some excellent publications from the BMFA that can help you and it's a good idea to have read of them before you start flying, during training/learning and most importantly many, many times on a regular basis thereafter. They are available from the BMFA website and there's also links to them here.

Hope this is useful for you, have fun.

G'day Carl.

welcome to the world of aeromodelling.

I learned to fly my very lonely self off a slope very cheaply with a two channel 2 metre glider, but that was well before litigation became a major concern. So in saying that, find a club as you are obviously trying to do, if not, get insurance and if you can afford a cheap simulator and have a computer that can be another beginner tool.

good luck

Welcome from me too Carl.....

As the others have said the BMFA club finder is a good place to start....find a couple local to you & go along & see how they feel.

Clearly there is no need to join any club but the knowledge & tuition they bring will get you started & into the air much quicker than you could hope to achieve yourself.

Enjoy you new hobby....thumbs up

Hi Carl and welcome .

There are at least three clubs close to you .

Mine is the South Wales Valley Fliers based close to Llanciach Vawr on the way to Gelligaer .

Bryn Bach Park on the heads of the valley's road .

Lantrisant model club that flies from Llantrisant common and I now believe the old Coed Ely pit site near Talbot Green .

I'm not sure about the current membership vacancy situation is at these clubs but pop along to any of them and you'll get a feel for what it's all about .Obviously it's best to pop along on a Sunday when most people fly and on a good weather day.

HI Carl and welcome to this jolly hobby. face 1

I joined a couple of local clubs to start myself off and you won't regret it. Loads of friendly help and advice available. I mistake was to buy a much too small plant to begin with. (cheapskate)

But after around 3 years I'm now firmly back into cheapskate mode and making my own from insulation foam etc. It's really not hard if you have a hobby knife and the right sort of glue.

Posted by Keith Evans 3 on 16/10/2016 14:09:50:

Hi Carl and welcome .

There are at least three clubs close to you .

Mine is the South Wales Valley Fliers based close to Llanciach Vawr on the way to Gelligaer .

Bryn Bach Park on the heads of the valley's road .

Lantrisant model club that flies from Llantrisant common and I now believe the old Coed Ely pit site near Talbot Green .

I'm not sure about the current membership vacancy situation is at these clubs but pop along to any of them and you'll get a feel for what it's all about .Obviously it's best to pop along on a Sunday when most people fly and on a good weather day.

Wot he said plus 1yes

There's also the Cynnon Valley R/C club based in Hirwaun.

Just be sure you know what your doing Carl, this hobby will take over your life wink

Edited By Dai Fledermaus on 16/10/2016 16:09:34