Dry cell batteries

fly boy3

Hi, saw a bit about batteries in"Rip off Britain "today. It featured a glider flier questioning dry batteries. A test was used to find what make batteries lasted the longest. Low and behold it was Lidl,s AAA Aerocell. These batteries lasted far longer than many household named batts. Including Duracell and are a fraction of the price of others. The flier was using a Specktrum Dx6i. Another of the fliers questions was, why there is no Mah info on dry cells but it is on rechargable batteries. Cheers. ps Aerocell, got to be for fliers with a name like that. LoL

Edited By fly boy3 on 21/10/2016 19:32:13

Advert

I don't think it is just the UK, I suspect we have the same issue with a lot of products here in New Zealand

I use a Gillette wet razor that takes an AAA battery, when new the supplied Duracell lasted 2 1/2 weeks! A rechargeable approx. 3 weeks.

But on a trip to the States beginning of August the fresh rechargeable went flat after 4 days, so of to Wallgreens and brought a cheap 4 pack of their own brand AAA's. Now over 2 1/2 months later the first one is still going!!

Thought I must be imagining it but no the other 3 are still here in the packet.

Speaks for its really doesn't it.

There are many Boffs on here FP, but I like to simplify explanations if I can. Both Metallurgy and Chemistry are precise sciences and a rechargeable cell, because of its construction delivers its contents quite accurately and this is recorded on the outside of the cell e.g 1000mah 1.2v

Now dry cells are quite wonderful offering power at 1.5v, but are typically 100 - 200mah. They are susceptible to temperature, and oddly, where a 800mah rechargeable pack would offer 80 ma for 10 hours, or 800ma for one hour, the dry cell pack struggles to deliver for 10 hours none stop. They fade, and manufactures are reluctant to make may claims on dry cells. The dry cell would be happy to compete at 80 mah 10 times, but less happy to discharge the whole capacity at the label claim. Hope this makes simple sense, from a complex issue

Edited By Denis Watkins on 21/10/2016 21:31:32

You can theorize all you want using science, stats etc. but using the one battery of four in a reasonably priced pack from Wallgreens speaks for it's self I believe. It has lasted (and is still going) for 2 1/2 times longer than standard Duracells, Energisers, Both Alkaline & Nimh and a couple of other random brands I have used. Batteries that cost up to 3X the price of Mr Wallgreens own brand label.

Which takes us back to the question raised by fly boy3, are we being ripped off by name brands who perhaps rely on their brand name & marketing hype to convince us that their product is superior to anything else?

What's to stop them importing lower quality product and selling them as top of the line? They would make more moola that way would they not? Who is there to stop them? They will keep doing it as long as they can get away with it. I am sure their Chinese suppliers wouldn't bat an eye at shipping 2nd grade or worse product.

This of course doesn't apply just to batteries, we have seen it in our own hobby with Servos, Receivers, Lipo batteries and such. Seconds & copies being sold as original. i.e.. Spektrum counterfeit receivers is one good example.