Beware the novice making the Spitfire!

Advert

Got a very slight distortion in my second wing... should I try and strip the area and rebuild it which may make things worse or should I continue and see if I can sand it out when the wing is complete?

Its not a lot but i can see it if i eye it through, seems to be last 3 ribs and tip section..

maybe steaming it out may be an option?

This is partly why we have to trim models Mike. In future, "dry fit" the next part of the build and eye it up. Whatever you sand off now, will be missing from the opposite side of the wing. Steaming/heat is an option as wood is mainly composed of cellulose which by definition is plastic in the sense that it can be distorted slightly with heat. Get the whole part in question near to its "pin down" position, and warm it up and pin down or brace firmly. Have a idea beforehand of the parts or whole that need pushing down.

Its not easy to get a picture if the little distortion on the wing, the top image is the one in question, it is very little but its on the leading edge and there is another 2mm of balsa covering i could work with,, the bottom image is the near completed wing which I am happy with as it looks right... how much can be trimmed out? oh and thanks guys for all the advice, it is appreciated ..

Ispit wing dist 2.jpgspit wing dist 1.jpg

Posted by Percy Verance on 20/11/2016 16:28:11:

Mike

The Hirtenberg (a.k.a. HP) is a much superior product. It is superior in both sheer engineering terms and power output. I don't think they are produced anymore in Austria, but from memory there is/was a clone produced in the US (RJL?). This make of engine was hugely popular for aerobatics and pylon racing back in the 70's and 80's. Good engines, with unrun original examples becoming collectable..........

Edited By Percy Verance on 20/11/2016 16:29:44

You can see and feel the difference as soon as you get the Hirtenberg in your hands. It has been used in another plane before but has had very little use... Its all there so I will decide what to fit when the time comes. I will bench test both anyway as the leo needs running in and I can do that in the workshop on a jig rather than on the plane.

Ok thanks guys... maybe I am being over critical but I don't know how accurate you need to be, being scaled down an error must be magnified?

I will continue with the build and if i can ease it out at later stages I will,,, Its funny as I can just hear my dad saying the same thing, he was an exceptional engineer in his day and he taught me all I know... its his fault! smiley

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't given up!!!!!

Slow progress of late due to work.... but the wings are nearly finished just a lot of sanding and smoothing to do.. much to the delight of my missus, Blimey a little bit of dust and shavings walked all over the house and she gets proper upset!

Two weeks off over christmas so I hope to make some headway and get some more done, electrics and control rods etc which will make a change and not too messy!

wink