Sanding Sealer use

Tony H

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question. I am building a PB Bean at the moment and the wood for the fuzz is quite soft, I have sanding sealer and wondered if I sound use it to harden the wood so it can be sanded easier.
I'm worried though if I do the Oracover covering won't stick to it after. What do you think?

Tony H

The sanding sealer wont harden the wood much if at all and as it contains talcum powder you may have problems getting film to stick to the wood afterwards. I do not know the model but tissue and dope will strengthen the wood. I have also used diluted PVA glue which you can film onto as long as it is fully dry, it will need a light sanding once dry.

Is it bare wood at the moment? If so, I'm not seeing any downsides. The sanding sealer will harden the surface, the filling properties and subsequent sanding will improve the surface, and there shouldn't be any adhesion problems with heat shrink covering that I'm aware of

Posted by IanN on 21/11/2016 12:54:01:

Is it bare wood at the moment? If so, I'm not seeing any downsides. The sanding sealer will harden the surface alittle due to the cellulose content, the filling properties and subsequent sanding will improve the surface, and there shouldn't be any adhesion problems with heat shrink covering that I'm aware of

Edited By IanN on 21/11/2016 12:55:02

I've used the sanding sealer and dilute PVA methods before covering, and they both work. The time the pva method really pays off is on a planked surface - fit the planks, sand lightly but don't blow the dust off. Then brush on the diluted PVA. This binds the balsa dust that has settled in any small gaps that might exist between the planks (perish the thought!). When dry, finish off the sanding process.

For a posh finish Tony, sanding sealer, let it dry, then fine sanding the surface for a second coat. At this point it will look like a Venetian Timber Speedboat on the Grand Canal. You want to cover it now, therefore, light sanding away all the glosslook, and balsalock the new surface ready for the new covering.

Edited By Denis Watkins on 21/11/2016 16:05:32

• 1 month later...