My latest Tiddler

TIM Shaw

Yes Guys

It is indeed a Challenger, but scaled to 80% and intended for Thunder Tiger Pro 36 power, as a winter hack.

I did acquire some lightweight retracts for it, but bottled out of fitting them in view of the state of our field in winter, regretting it a bit now - though, maybe next time.

Cheers

Tim

Yes Piers, I believe you are.

Anything to promote these old classics is encouraged, if I have got the aims of this group right.

The long nose might cause some balance issues, and the gear install is rather tighter than I expected.

My original full size one from about 1988 was pretty quick with a piped Webra Speed 61 in the nose, and I am hoping this smaller one will feel every bit as quick, without using quite as much sky

Yes, its just over 53" span, and since you ask, the empty weight is 1.01Kg, or 2lbs 3ozs in old money....

My Mach 8 (0.8 sized Mach 1) was a bit smaller at 40" and just short of 2Kg all up.

Flew great on the TT36 and I'm hoping this one will be even better thumbs up

Edited By TIM Shaw on 14/12/2016 20:41:18

Edited By TIM Shaw on 14/12/2016 20:42:26

Posted by TIM Shaw on 14/12/2016 20:39:58:

Yes, its just over 53" span, and since you ask, the empty weight is 1.01Kg, or 2lbs 3ozs in old money....

My Mach 8 (0.8 sized Mach 1) was a bit smaller at 40" and just short of 2Kg all up.

Sorry - I meant just under 53", and the Mach 8 was 50"

Seem to have used up all my "edit" options...

Hi Guys

All the bits are now nailed on and it tips the scales at around 1.75Kg, or 3lb 14ozs.

However, I am not happy with my U/C, which I fuz mounted for durability, and I have an interference problem with the aileron servo and linkages.

If I were to start this again I would definitely use a separate, mini, servo for each aileron and would almost certainly mount the U/C in the wing.

The reason I say this is that I am unable to get the CG back any further than the most forward recommended position without adding lead to the tail, which is something I would rather avoid.

Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else is contemplating a similar build.

Cheers

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Got to maiden it in the mist and mud yesterday, flies like its on rails.

Cold and damp, only got the one flight in.

Been back today though, even saw some sun and remarkably I had the field to myself, so I burned off the best part of half a gallon of fuel and got it pretty much dialled in.

It is quick,smooth, and pretty much neutral, although it does seem to have a slight tendency to pull to the U/C in knife edge using left rudder, Strangely though, not with right rudder.

20170108_143550.jpg

20170107_152959.jpg

Might be due to the big wheels - they do spoil the lines a bit, but they work well on our field.wink