Wanhao i3 Duplicator V2

Colin Leighfield

I've run into trouble getting Cura 14.2 to run on my Mac. After altering system preferences I was able to get it into downloads but haven't been able to find a way to run it. I was pointed towards the Winona X app and downloaded it. However although it picks up the Cura programme and starts to open it, it then stops with a message saying I can't do it because my version of Winona is out of date! this despite the fact that I have just bought and paid for it.

I've put a message on the Winona help line asking what is going on and messaged Ultimaker asking for a solution to the problem. does anybody that might be reading this have any ideas? it's very frustrating, this is a solid and well-made piece of kit, I want to use it.

Although Cura is supposed run on a Mac, there's clearly a problem of some sort. If it's purely a Cura problem then it's well worth downloading teh aprropriate Mac version of Makerbot from here.

Make sure you select the right version, download it and give it a go, it's free so you might as well.

If the problem is with your Mac, sorry I can't help with that.

Oh Colin I've just spotted something else... don't know what Winona X is but whislt I was checking I realised that's an old version of Cura you are trying to use, latest is V2.3.1 (yes I know V2.3.1 looks lower than V14.2 but it is so).

It's available here, perhpas that helps (scroll down to find your version)?

• 2 months later...

Hi Ian. Time flies doesn't it? I've just noticed it's nearly three months since the last posting. I haven't done much with it yet. We were away from home for three weeks until mid-February and then with other pressures and trying to knock together the indoor Wicko project I parked it for a while. Funnily enough I started to look at it again just last week. Previously I had difficulty getting the glass bed clearances right, but I spent a couple of hours working on it and got it right at last. I did another run with a pre-loaded programme and it came out spot-on. We are away again now, I will be back home on 23 April and will pick up on where I left off. I did download a couple of projects from Thingyverse last week and loaded them into the SD Card but failed to get them to run. I think I know what I did wrong and will sort it when I get back. As soon as I have news I will post it here. The printer looks like a very solid, well engineered piece of kit, any problems are likely to be down to me being thick with the software.

• 2 weeks later...

The current Technology Outlet web-site is well worth a look. A wide range of printers on there now, with different prices and specifications. Also offering a CAD design and rapid prototyping service. For those still considering their options, it is worth including this in the search. Full back-up and material support as well. When I spoke to them on the 'phone they gave me confidence in their knowledge and understanding of the subject. Others are probably as capable, but so far, so good.

• 1 month later...

I am getting to grips with this, although I still tend to be otherwise occupied and don't give it the time it needs. Last night I was running a slow job downloaded from Thingiverse when about two hours in, I noticed that the PLA filament coming from the reel had snapped. I managed to re-insert it and thought I had not lost continuity, but realised shortly that the print was going haywire, with the thread being layed down not adhering. I assume that continuity had been lost and the printer was laying down PLA in places where lack of filament had caused a "missed" area, so that it was trying to work over a gap. I disconnected and scrapped the embryonic work piece. Not sure why this happened. The reel of PLA appeared to be free to rotate so I can't understand the break, unless it was a fault in the filament. Has anybody else experienced something like this?

• 2 months later...