DX6i AR6200 Issues

Matt Miller

it's the AR6200-bought last week, with the transmitter, the Tx/Rx package is out there for sale at £100, this was its first flight, range checked satis, etc.

Have changed the elevator servo, despite being unable to replicate the fault. Hope to try again Monday-are you flying again before then?

I'm just converting my Boomerang to a tail dragger so if its done in time for Sunday morning I will fly again Sunday morning as weather looks nice for then.. Well hear in Tring it does anyhow..

My DX6i came with my Blade 400 and I purchased the AR6200 sperately.

I spoke to a few model shops and Horizon Hobby.  None of them have ever heard of a problem like it and all dont think its the radio gear.  HH said I could send the radio gear back to them to check it so I may think about doing that if it happens again.  Assuming I have a plane left in one piece after it happens again!

I just got their number from the uk website..

I hope its allowed to post numbers on here, sorry if its not!

01279 641097

Let me know if you speak to them and what they say, if you get the same guy as me he may say thats two in one week! Then again, if its a known problem he might not say anything.

Thanks,

well, the radio maintained good contact to a distance of 60 paces-twice what's recommended.

only thing noticeable was that if signal loss occurred while elevator was up, it would stay in that position for about a second before returning to neutral. no sign of any uncommanded control movements.

hoping for the best!

depends what you mean by full travel?

i've reduced the throw on the elevator considerably, using the facility on the tx, to 60% of the available. and i was 'cycling' the control up and down,full stick movement, so when it stopped it was at 'full' up-but it didn't move any further than i had moved it with my control input, if you understand me!

ah yeh, I meant full travel that the servo is capable of doing.

My rates are set on mine so I cannot go full travel of the servo with the tx with rates on.  Although when it glitched (or what ever happened) it appeared to actually full servo travel.

I'll report back if I get her up in the air on sunday..

cheers

Look guys I think you are in danger of over complicating and confusing things here - I have already given my analysis and suggestions for rectificatiuon at the early part of thread, and all that still stands.

I personally dont believe it is a brown out issue from what was said afterwards, but it was something to consider in the early stages.The various further replies we have discussed on this particular issue is because the subject came up and was queried again later, necessitating a longer discussion - albeit by then a little off topic

Now discussions are ongoing about how elevators are staying where they were when siganl loss occurs - there is nothing abnormal about that - it's what is supposed to happen. The ONLY channel which will go to a pre-set failsafe position is throttle, all others retain last known good position.

Matt....work your way through the various ideas suggested by myself and others, but remember - if you change more than any one single item /setting /whatever, at a time and the problem disappears....you will never know what cured it will you !

guilty as charged of picking thru the bones of this-just got my attention that both Matt and I suffered uncommanded elevator output, and are both running the same tx/rx setup...i DO hope it's just coincidence,and that replacing the servo has fixed it!

Matt

i to have a boomer and same rx tx setup had no problems think timbo is right work through that my only other thought could it be a tx fault maybe suddenly flicking to high rates and back again? just an ideas

P.S would like to talk boomer with you pm me or leave post in my general chat in beggineers section for me TA

rEAGARDS aLEX

HOPE U SORT IT SOON.

Hi Guys,

Just to update you on on todays flying.

I have about 10 flights today, weather was spot on here!

I had not one glitch but I did replicate the problem, slightly.  I simply gave alot of power while coming out of an intentional loop, it carried on looping. 

I think that I proved that the bands were the cause.

The testing that I done today were with 6 bands on but I now realise that I must not power out of the loop, dont think its built for that.

Other than putting 6 bands on I also changed the elevator servo for the throttle servo.  There were no "known" thottle issues in any of the flights.

I also converted from a trike to tail dragger, much better!

So, I think that the main cause of this issue was the main wing coming apart from the fuse under stress.

Cheers to all those that made suggestions.

Matt

• 1 month later...

As I have a bit more experience since when I started this thread I can safely suggested the following:

1) If using 2.4Ghx make sure you use a 6V RX battery pack!

2) If using spektrum RX, make sure its atleast a AR6200 not a 6100/e

3) Buy a Battery checker from a place like SM Services that give you a voltage reading under load (to simulate servo load).. And actually use it before thinking about taking off...

My initial problem at the start of the thread was nothing to do with my RX or TX but infact the main wing seperating from the fuse slightly...  We're still not sure how this is happening but possibly due to air getting inside the fuse and not escaping..  This only ever happened when going really fast!

I'm now looking to buy another plane for next season as I feel pretty confident with my trainer!

Thanks guys..

Matt M

Matt

I use the 6100's in my electric planes and they've been fine, much better than the park flyer 35 mhz units. So horses for courses.

As regards the battery pack 4.8 or 6v make sure it does not sag under load, some of the high capacity AA cells have a fairly high internal resistance which means the volts can drop significantly when you apply a load.

Matt Miller wrote (see)

As I have a bit more experience since when I started this thread I can safely suggested the following:

1) If using 2.4Ghx make sure you use a 6V RX battery pack!

2) If using spektrum RX, make sure its atleast a AR6200 not a 6100/e

3) Buy a Battery checker from a place like SM Services that give you a voltage reading under load (to simulate servo load).. And actually use it before thinking about taking off...

My initial problem at the start of the thread was nothing to do with my RX or TX but infact the main wing seperating from the fuse slightly...  We're still not sure how this is happening but possibly due to air getting inside the fuse and not escaping..  This only ever happened when going really fast!

I'm now looking to buy another plane for next season as I feel pretty confident with my trainer!

Thanks guys..

Matt M

1)Sorry, wrong - not always neccessary at all.

2) 6100 is a fantastic receiver - I have 8 and fly some large ( 60" ) slope soarers out of sight - so again..wrong.

3) Correct.

My suggestions were for complete peace of mind for myself but each to their own, its your risk!

1) 6v is better than 4.8v, less risk of brown out.  Do you disagree TIMBO?

2) for an extra £10 you get a better receiver which is less likely to go out of range plus it has a second RX which can be positioned to have less risk off a null area. Do you disagree TIMBO?

So, you just had to jump up and slate me down saying I am wrong!  I am not wrong, THAT IS THE BETTER CONFIGURATION! but you can use 4.8v and 6100 if you wish to risk it!

Your reply is somewhat harsh sounding and I just hope no one else takes on board your suggestions! @ Timbo the moderator.  

Hi Matt - sorry if it sounded harsh...not my intention - just brief - 'cos I am catching up on hundreds of posts and emails - apologies.

To be little more constructive...I was only replying to your statement that suggested "make sure you only use a 6V receiver pack" - I and I suspect many others, have successfully used 4.8 /5V supply on many many models without a single incident. Sure, the 6V pack will give a little extra headroom,and I would generally agree that it is a good idea - something which I have stated many times before - however my pretty extensive real world testing has proved that the 6100 is an excellent receiver which will actually perform right down to 3.5V and slightly lower. I just think that the current trend toward people stating that ONLY 6V is suitable for any 2.4G stuff is simply wrong.

Your second suggestion implies that if using Spektrum gear, then use nothing "less" than a 6200 - I have not disputed whether or not the 6200 is "better" than the 6100 ( which incidentally several very experienced flyers and indeed retailers on this forum would disagree with- having vowed to never use the 6200 again following severe range problems ).

To suggest that a "lesser" receiver should not be used with Spekky sets IS wrong - sorry - it just is.

I leave people to make up their own mind as to whose "advice" they choose to follow.

As I say...not being harsh or confrontational, just stating the facts.

I've just picked up on this...... I've had similar problems resulting is crashes, some terminal. The commmon fault is aelerons locking on full, spiralling the plane into the ground. 3 or 4 times now. It's an Arising Star trainer with Irvine 40 engine, Dx& Tx and 6200 receiver.It's not the servos ( replaced) It's not the receiver battery ( pretty sure). I think the most likely is a software glitch with the processor in the TX.Or possibly the receiver. I'm switching to a 5e and a different 6200 while I investigate further.

I did also experience throttle shut downs, but that may have been down to the engine/fuel feed rather than an electronic problem.

I'm not looking for suggestions,as they are endless, but maybe hear from others that may have had the same thing. I don't buy the thing about not enough rubber bands. I have 8/10 fitted.All I was doing was circuits and landing appraoches. The last crash came 2 seconds after take off. No time to do anything.

Martin

are you SURE the servo leads are properly fitted? I had the uncommanded servo movement and could only put it down to the servo plug being not quite all the way home-because the rx is so small and the plugs are crammed so tightly together.

I thinned my plugs on wet and dry so they slid home easily-and no more problems to date (fingers crossed, touching Brazilian rainforest!)

Martin (too)

Worth a look...thanks. First time I had no extension lead. Then I fitted an extension lead and same thing, so maybe not........but I will look. One of my other thoughts was a faulty conection in the joystick assembly to the PCB in the TX. A broken/bad connection here will/can put the servo hard over one way or the other, depending on where the break is. ( +5 side or Gnd side.)