Large scale microlight project

mark hadden

Hi guys,
Ive been making a large scale microlight for a few months and have now got a rough frame together that loosely resembles a flexwing microlight lol

Ive already got three trikes that use a 2 metre wing and have developed that since the maiden in 2011 that used a brushless 900kv motor.
Ive since built a nitro version with an o.s15La engine and an electric FPV version which has now got a headtracker, a tbs crossfire UHF
And a 600mw immersionRc vtx.

All these trikes bolt straight on to either of the wings ive made,
a topless version or the older one with the kingpost and top flying wires
So is just a case of choosing which one you feel like flying.
the nitros my personal favourite
As the smell and sound of a real engine just adds an excitement to flying it

This will be like the smaller one using only weightshift for roll and pitch and throttle to climb aswell as having a steerable nose wheel.

This larger version has got an aluminium frame on the trike and the wing, the smaller one was a alloy trike and a fiberglass wing frame which makes it extremely crashable like a kite.
Because of this im adding a fiberglass section to the tips to allow abit of 'give' incase catching a wingtip.

Ill share more pics of the large one as the build progresses, If anyone wants videos of the smaller 2m version theres a thread on this forum or check out my youtube channel 'mark675' Thanks http://s994.photobucket.com/user/mark675/library/rc%20microlight

Edited By mark hadden on 23/01/2017 11:16:06

Advert

Lovely autogyro Giuseppe! Ive also got a passion for autogyros and had a flight in a real one last year which was amazing
Such interesting aircraft

Dont give up with the microlights though they are so much fun to fly
Any help you need with the wing im more than happy to help you, pm me your email address and ill send you some rough dimensions with c of g postion.
The c of g on trikes isnt massively critical, if its too far forward it will fly fast or too extremes it might not lift off at all, if its way too far back it will backflip on takeoff but theres a fair window to aim for, i just went by what looked right and then kept moving back till it started stalling all over the sky and moved it forward abit again lol super technical approach 😂

I would love to get it published in rcm&e,
The problem with my plans is that most of my brackets are cnc machined from titanium (wire erosion) so other than sitting and redesigning all my brackets using a modelling technique then i couldnt make any useable plans (or guarantee their strength in crashes)

Britinoz (chris) has proved that it can be done using modelling techniques though instead of an engeneering approach,
Your modelling skills look more than up to the task buddy

Mark

Thanks Mark yes i do love simple thing that fly i flew in microlight too wife present then i paid for another go, in Italy i flew of the beach and it was just amazing the autogyro started as a microlight idea 20 years ago as matter of interest and tried using a kite for wings

I like to work with carbon tubes and regarding the CNC bits they maybe a way around 3d maybe! or ideas from ic cars or hely bits autogyros bits there must be a way. love give you my email but i will probably be spam any other idea!

If i made one i will probably use a carbon construction i just need Help and Plans but please keep posting i got my eye on youyes

Bet that was brilliant flying off the beach

Yeah thats how chris did his one using a carbon frame, theres definately ways of joining these parts together without resorting to cnc so no worries there,
I just designed the clamping mounts as undoing one bolt you could slide them about to adjust things and allowed me to mount to fiberglass without having to drill it,
Now i know where things have to go this is not as needed

Im yet to break any of the brackets though after many,many crashes so i never looked at any other designs

Ill post a link to the two main threads on rc groups 👍

Edited By mark hadden on 23/01/2017 13:14:40

Im so glad you're happy and have got you reinterested in building one

Chris (britinoz) is a guy off rcgroups who lives in australia, i gave him my very rough plans and he made a great microlight with them.
think alot of people will know him on here aswell as hes an autogyro guy too.

Ah lack of health and safety, i love it lol
We're waay too protected in the uk and over in the USA, health and safety is out of hand here everything gotta be risk assessed lol

Happy reading bud

Been making progress on this microlight the last few days,
Trying to make it simple but foldable for easy transport as its so large.

Ive made the basic hang bracket and 'A frame' mount that pivots to allow it to be folded like a real one.
need to round all the parts off eventually but just trying to get it all together first.

Ive made the seat frame clamps aswell so that can be fixed on,
the wing crossbar, tipstruts and steering arm will be next,
Thatll be the frame work almost finished.

More pics in next few days

Mark

photo 20170126_164015_zpseekvlatp.jpg
 photo 20170127_121158_zpslwxf2ein.jpg
 photo 20170127_121242_zpsvhq6yhcg.jpg
 photo 20170127_121437_zps3s6iclip.jpg
 photo 20170127_121427_zps3jbvxbgq.jpg
 photo 20170127_121357_zpsekfn77cw.jpg
 photo 20170127_115330_zpstccmbvdr.jpg
 photo 20170127_115352_zpsml36z0fw.jpg
 photo 20170127_115557_zpsvkke8xyh.jpg

Well ive been getting a fair bit done on this the last few days,
ive finished the 'a'frame and the crossbar and other little bits and pieces,
Really starting to look like a big version of my other one now and weights suprisingly little at the moment,
Ill have to get it on the scales after the servos are fitted,
Not sure on engine choice atm, this o.s25la is just on there for show atm lol
am thinking of a nice 4 stroke as ive never had one of them and they sound lovely

The crossbar design is just like the real one- pivoted in the middle so you detension the wing and bring the leading edges in and it all folds up into a 1.5 meter tube,
Good job really as ive got no way to transport this 2.7 meter wing

Going to start making the sail tomorrow so will post more pics when ive got something to show

Mark

photo 20170130_201037_zpshh545tax.jpg
 photo 20170130_200818_zps53uqninl.jpg
 photo 20170130_200953_zpsa4r0llww.jpg
 photo 20170130_201557_zpsidgpmauf.jpg
 photo 20170130_201607_zpsk5m92bo6.jpg

Yeah it is mate i got mine from wickes,
Im using 10mm dia with 1mm wall thickness (8mm hole) for most of the wing frame
And 8mm dia tube (6mm hole) for all other areas,
Im strengthening mounting points by insterting solid bar into the area,
It has to entend abit past though so doesnt create a stress riser

Mark