David Boddington Raider Combat RCM&E Febr 2017

Ton van Munsteren

Advert

Hi Barry,

Good news that your almost ready to have a go with the Raider.

Yes it can be very handy to have as many spare as you can, I have a big bottle of glue and some foam to fill the holes where the foam has been taken out by a prop. You can never have enough foam or glue.

The Raider of your mate looks great has it been flown already, it looks to beautiful.

Had great fun today had lots of wind but was great fun doing vertical landings with the Raider.

Ton

• 1 month later...
Posted by Ton van Munsteren on 25/03/2017 22:42:15:

Hi Barry,

Good news that your almost ready to have a go with the Raider.

Yes it can be very handy to have as many spare as you can, I have a big bottle of glue and some foam to fill the holes where the foam has been taken out by a prop. You can never have enough foam or glue.

The Raider of your mate looks great has it been flown already, it looks to beautiful.

Had great fun today had lots of wind but was great fun doing vertical landings with the Raider.

Ton

My friends red raider in the picture above has been flown a few flights now but no one to combat with yet.

Here is how mine is getting on

Raider 1

Few changes, as I said earlier it is only 800mm wingspan as a tester. The sheet of foam I bought was 2400 x 600mm so if this works at 800mm I'll get 6 wings from 1 sheet. The motor mount isn't glued fully around the outside of wing it is glued about 50mm into the leading edge. I've glued a 600mm carbon tube recessed in to the bottom of wing. I've used correx for the elevons.

Next jobs are to install servos and receiver but getting their.

Baz

Finally finished yes

raider 3

Motor is a bit bigger than Ton's, Turnigy 2836/1100kv spinning a 10x5 prop. This produces 175 Watts / 16.5 Amps. The models AUW is 1lb 7oz (660g) so that's about 120 Watts per lb, should be rather quick wink

C of G is spot on with no extra weight required yes

Hopefully I'll get a chance to give it it's maiden flight sometime this week.

Baz

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

kitfox 154 (002).jpgkitfox 153 (002).jpgI received a mail from TON with all the detail needed to build the raider and hoped that I had learnt a few things since my previous attempt 25+ years ago. At least I knew that the radio and engine would be more than what I had used. I made a few changes as our ground in Africa is very hard so I wanted a little more protection for the equipment. Used a Park 450 890kv motor with a 30amp esc, I thought the performance would be marginal but it is great. This makes a nice small field/ holiday airframe. My son is now busy with his Raider so we will have 2 by the weekend. Thanks David and Ton for the great design.kitfox 152.jpg

• 6 years later...

Nobody has replied with the CAD version so far.......if you need it I will scan the original plan from the magazine which has the full size airfoil and parts together with the dimensions of the wing and fin.  ( that's shown on the first page of this thread but I will scan the original to a PDF so you can print out at 100percent on an A4 printer )

On reading the original 1980 article I note that the designer is Obi Mapua not David Boddington!    Boddo built one and then promoted it as Club 20 Combat but it's not his design.

• 1 month later...