Acquainting myself with a Walbro carby

Adrian Smith 1

I decided as a first that I would take advantage of examining the Walbro carby on my now defunct OS GT60, purely because I have never done this before. To you old hands this is probably no big deal, but for me it is a first.

I decided to lay a white sheet on the bench and photographed each stage to stop me putting it back in the wrong order. I compared this carby with another 60 that is ok and has done a similar amount of air time. In this case about 7 hours.

The most interesting bits to look are these -

p1040271.jpgp1040272.jpgIt was quite clean, as was the other side and the reed valve. This isn't meant to be a tutorial just and encouragement to anybody who wants to try it. The carby on the other engine had quite a bit of gunk in the metal screen filter to be cleaned out of it despite similar running time. I guess that tells me a lot about the fuel lines and environment it operates in. Anyway all cleaned up and put back together in the right order so here's to the next time!

While you had the diaphragm out it old be worth hacking the float valve height. This is critical for the correct fuel delivery.

The needle is under the lever held on by the retaining screw and pin. There is the mother of fine springs under the lever.DO NOT LOOSE IT,!!- best take it apart in a plastic bag.

Very useful tool and great write up here to help

Edited By cymaz on 26/01/2017 22:06:51

i put a new carb on my DA 60 a year or so ago and took the oppotunity to do the same , i learned a great deal about metering valves ,reed valves ,diaphrams ,impulse vents and lines .quite usefull really . only thing is da grind the last 3 numbers /marks off the carb so i only know its a hda xxx ...and yes that must be the smallest spring known to man under the metering valve so be careful