LiPo Chargers

Oh I completely agree! But you still need to buy some stuff to analyse, and you always learn more with mistakes than with successes, or at least I seem to.
This return to modelling after 25 years is really setting me back, I have raised other threads on here outlining this but, I have had to buy two Tx sets (due to no instructors on my mode) I bought a really nice JR PCM9XII which wasn't cheap (always get what you pay for with a TX I think). The old engines I had were all seized, so a new engine. I refused to do ARTF so bought a WOT4, a small amount of building supplies, just two flights and I am already off down the electric path with all the expense that entails LOL
I can see the enjoyment in both ic and electric, operating an ic is a bit like a BBQ you could have a gas one, but the bloke in me just must make fire LOL.

Advert

I Know what you mean I came back into RC afer a lay off two years ago, 22 planes later I am now flying from Depron foamies that I have designed myself up too 60cc 90" wingspan petrol, and I have just bought two more not much difference in size a 48" SebArt Kantana and a 85"QQYak boys and their toys.

Run out of cyno I'm going for a G&T suns over the yard arm so its alloud.

Danny, when you sail a Laser how do you keep the water out of the carb & exhaust! Beware corroded bearings. ( Many years ago I lost a Mills 0.75 diesel on the back of a boat, airscrew powered, in a pond for three days, when I got it out I put some fuel in it and it ran straight away, kept it for years).

Hi Danny, Have been following your discourse with Mike as I too am coming back to the hobby after several years away and am thinking in terms of Electric although I do have some engines(diesel & glow,3 are NIB)which I could use to get started. My R/c gear is as shown on my profile and I don't posess any elec. stuff at all, so it is start from square one time. I also need flight training 'cos I'm really out of touch. Hope I can join a local club for expert tuition etc. Thanks for your advice Mike on where to buy etc. Any other tips very welcome.
Tom Richardson.

Hi Tom,
As you can tell I have taken a bit of a plunge on the electric stuff and much of what I discussed I have now bought. It is not cheap despite what anybody tells you. When I fly IC I have a tranny, a plane, a chicken stick, and a glow battery. However once you have the electric gear I can see the argument (sort of)
I bought a small 130Watt brushless motor and ESC, £15, a 3s1p Lipo £37.99, a lipo charger for $60, 3 mini servos £15, a mini Rx £19, prop and adaptor £5, connectors £3, Wattmeter £25, I haven't yet found a battery to charge my pack at the field, and finally a pile of assorted balsa and plywood (way more than I need) £25. I will knock together a "little Sue" from a free plan I have. I will let you know how it goes.

I was with someone at the weekend who was playing with a new type of cells and he was charging in ten minutes, whats more these cells do not catch fire and are very difficult to damage, so the technology is around. I like the idea on a pleasant evening of tucking my model and Tx under my arm and walking to the park just down the road, having a quick flight and then wandering back.
I think I am drawn to IC for the same reason that I dislike gas BBQ's LOL

I know the technology is around, My EVO 20 pack is supposed to be able to chage at 2C I just can't bring myself to do that and charge at 1C even then I think I am pushing the battery too hard, LiPo's have a finite life and I have found that charging them too quickly shortens the life even more, have lots of blown cells to prove it, been there done that my turn to LOL.

Yes I know I have a DeWalt battery drill that charges in 1/2hr but LiIon is heavy compared to LiPo's, I use LiIon in my big petrol planes for ignition where the weight does not matter as much, but some of my lightweight electrics suffer if the weight goes up too much, they will not prop hang or pull out as well as when fitted with the LiPo's, weight is everything when you are pushing the 3D envelope.

Just a quick update on the Tenergy charger.
I ordered one of these plus the mains charger to match from All-Battery.com the distributor in the States.
The cost was:
$81.99 for the LiPo charger
$19.99 for the mains adaptor
$67.68 for shipping
$39.32 duty on arrival to the UK
$208.98 Total
or in beer vouchers £105
There is a lesson here, I am not so sure it was the deal I had hoped for, make sure you investigate all the hidden costs......

To make matters worse I was short shipped the Mains adaptor but charged the duty! all-Battery.com are sending another, I am just waiting for a second customs bill.

Just to clarify
I paid
$78.99 for the charger
$46 for shipping
$35 duty
Beer vouher value £80 now this is for what I consider the most up to date and best charger out there, comparable to the ordinary chargers available in the UK, I am not dissapointed at all, still think the Tenergy is the bees knees.

• 2 weeks later...