Alpha jet mk2 power setup

Simon Kirk

Hi guys some of you may remember my thread last year about power set ups and trying to learn the ropes....
I didn't want to resurrect the thread as it would get confusing so here goes....

Iv not had chance to get my head around choosing power setups as I started a new job back in may on the railway and have spent the last year learning all there is to know there, I'm wanting to build the alpha jet mk2 and was wondering anyone could please recommend me a power set up? Ideally as cheap as possible (maybe hobbyking?)

My plan is to build it for something to do and then learn about choosing power set ups later on once iv done my first proper build.
Thanks in advance

Advert

Trying to simplify your appreciation let's try this

The weight of the model is a start point with 100 watts per pound basic 150 watts per pound acrobatic 200 watts per pound going vertical or very acrobatic. Then the type and size of the model determines the prop required, larger props require lower kv motor smaller props require higher kv motor. Link this with watts required and look for a motor to fit the bill. This then gives you the watts as a guide line. Divide the watts by an average of 10 volts on a 3 S lipo battery to get the amps and the allow 30% extra to get to ESC required. Because the alpha jet is limited in prop area that's why you needa high revving motor and small prop. The lipo capacity is the determined by whatyou can get in the model and how long you want to fly.

Edited By RC Plane Flyer on 19/02/2017 17:46:29

I'm struggling to find an affordable 2200kv motor so iv found this.... https://hobbyking.com/en_us/d2826-6-2200kv-outrunner-motor.html
However it's 342 watts which is well above the 200 you recommended, would this make it too powerful for the model?
Also says 5x5 prop recommended for a 3s pack....
This is all so confusing lol

Remember Simon

Approximately 100w per pound model weight for ample power

It is not critical, as I fly some EPP foam at 50w lb, but they don't fly vertical.

For aggressive 3D, look to 200w per lb, unlimited vertical performance

Very popular lipos appear to be 2200mah and 3300mah, or thereabouts

They can be 1800mah and 2600mah and still fly your model

These sizes will determine how long you are in the air, usually in the order of 6 to 8 to 12 minutes

And on a motor glider, with care, 20 minutes or more

Nothing is critical yet

The ESC is chosen to embrace and encompass the sustained amperage drawn by the motor

If a model measures 32amps draw, then you don't go out and buy a 32amp ESC

You fit a 40A ESC to cover the maximum possible current

What you don't do is fit a 20 amp ESC

Most suppliers will advise especially 4max

Thanks mate the bit that confused me more than anything is knowing what kv motor to use but on most of the plans it states what size prop and kv motor to use, so by taking this info and the models weight I can use the info posted above to work it all out.... I think I'm starting to get it lol.

I read about wind loading and surface areas and stuff, does that matter so much if using the watts per pound measurement?

Thanks a lot for your help gents. So iv come to the conclusion of using this motor....
http://www.brchobbies.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=103_49&products_id=811 with a 6x4 prop (190watts)

And this esc
http://www.brchobbies.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=15_95&products_id=1309

Would this be suitable for the alpha jet mk2?

Should I maybe look at altering prop size slightly to try get those extra few watts or will 10 not make much of a difference?

Cheers

OK all cut out, motor and servos fitted but having trouble with control horns on the elevons, I used a couple of spare mpx horns I had spare with the little adjustable grub screw on them.
Fitted all up and the servo seems to push the rod past the horns limit and has pulled it clean off the elevons.
Can anyone recommend any control horns that or ways of mounting them that will make them stay on the elevon?
I was thinking of getting some of the ones that push through and snap together?

Cheers

Cheers Denis I was testing with a servo tester as no plug in esc yet (my soldering iron turned up today and didn't work) are the push fit horns going to be the best type to use in depron? I just can't seem to find a glue that makes a string enough bond for stick on horns.
Have tried por and epoxy and neither seems to adhere to the depron properly

UHU por,  put a coating on each surface, and leave for 10 minutes then push in, this can be very strong if done right

Also foam safe superglue, again, not stored cold, warm and used sparingly

It is the foam that is weak and needs careful handling

Also, you can buy serrated horns with a backing clip, that grips when pushed on, I will look them up

Edited By Denis Watkins on 28/02/2017 21:22:15