Do you keep a log (book) ??

Advert

I don't log flight durations but chalked up 871 flights last year, spread over 42 models (did I say I have too many?). This includes some indoor flights of as little as 6min each as well as some substantially longer forays off the slope. An average figure of 10 mins/ flight would equate to over 180hrs so, if I were add to that the time spent flying other people's models (mainly for trimming, testing or instructing purposes), I'd guess my total stick time would be around the 200hr mark.

Edited By Trevor on 02/03/2017 12:51:31

Slight arithmetic error on my part: the 180hrs should be more like 150hrs. And last year's total was my best yet. In recent years the totals have been boosted by regular indoor meetings through the winter and by heading out to the hills when it's too breezy for flying off the water or the flat field. Mainly though it's down to having clubmates with whom it's a pleasure to spend the day. Mind you, that's a double edged sword as far as flying time is concerned, in that an enjoyable day's flying can easily pass by with only half a dozen flights in the log book, squeezed in between all the gossip!

Just been through the latest log book.

I had 397 flights between 01/01/2016 and 19/02/2017 on 22 models over 58 sessions. (Not including flying about 12 models for other people)

I don't record the flight times but they vary from 3-5 minutes on an EDF to 15 mins on petrol and 30 mins on gliders.

If you said average of 10min per flight then around 66 hours

Edited By ChrisB on 02/03/2017 20:35:20

started a log in excel a few years back, just so I could see when the last time I flew a particular model was, as my fleet had grown past 20 odd.

Over the time I have extended it via worksheets to document, lists of equipment, models and content, so I know where receivers, engines and servos are etc... quite useful from time to time.

The most useful element of my log is it basically tells me that I should be investing all my funds in a bright orange Wot4!!!!.. (the only model I have never owned)... in that the weather is always windy, wet, and grey skies..so a grab and go hack is most suitable for our climate..... My mind boggles with all the advertising of lightweight top draw models which you can only fly on about 2 weekends of the year!!!... but we still keep buying um!!!..

cPosted by David Mellor on 03/03/2017 11:31:55:

Thanks to everyone who posted. Its been an education for me. I think I'll continue with my little Wilko's A6 spiral notebook and try harder this year to get my hours up - I'm definitely getting rusty!

Dave

Can't beat a spiral bound book. Far better than a spreadsheet!

CB

I have been keeping a logbook, in the form of a spreadsheet, since I got back into aeromodelling eight years ago. This has one line entries per model, so if I fly two models in one flying session there are two line entries. It only takes me a couple of minutes after I get back to bring the log up to date. I record all relevant details: duration, windspeed, temperature etc. The most useful entries are comments on maintenance or repairs required, which I always look at before I take a model out to fly. There is also one worksheet in which I record all the aircraft data: weight, size, wing-loading, power, batteries used, the radio settings, the control throws, CG position, etc etc.

I think a logbook is highly worth the (very) small amount of effort it takes to keep up-to-date.