Wot? No altitude?

Geoff Blamey

I've just done a test fit and fly with the Spektrum telemetry in a Radian glider. Using DX9 Tx.

Everything seems to be working apart from altitude. Voltage and temperature readouts OK. Vario is making the right noises (irritating!) whilst flying, but the main thing I want (voice notification of altitude) isn't giving me the goodies. All I'm getting is "Altitude-no data".

Does the altitude have a separate pressure sensor to the climb/descend sensor? I assumed it used the same one. I see the Vario has 4 wires, so maybe 2 signal wires where it plugs into the TM1000.

This is my first time with telemetry, so can you wise ones help, please?

Advert

Hi Geoff, I assume you just have the vario module fitted as there is no need for an altitude module as well? I can only suggest you try the 'Auto-Config' setup to sort out the telemetry settings:

First of all, go into Telemetry and delete all the existing settings. This will force the new setup to enable everything it finds when you do the Auto-Config.

To use Telemetry Auto-Config:
1. Make sure all telemetry components are bound to the
transmitter and receiver.
2. Power on the transmitter, then power on the receiver.
3. Select Telemetry from the Function List, then select Auto
Config. "Configuring" flashes for 5 seconds and any new
sensors appear in the list.

4. Adjust the sensor alert values as necessary

It's also worth making sure that the TM1000 antenna isn't being shielded by any componenets, too. The TM1000 downlink has much less range than the uplink so I find too that spells when no data is being recieved isn't unusual.

Pete

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 09/03/2017 16:20:06

I did the Auto Configure here at home when doing the initial bind, and also did it again today up at the field to see if that would fix anything, but no joy. I don't know how to delete existing settings, though.

The TM antenna was just under the canopy, but here at home it was hanging outside, so it's not just aloft that there is a problem. Footage seen on Youtube suggests the sensor is responsive enough to register raising from floor to head height.

Yes, it is the Vario module that is fitted.

Being a bit of a techno numpty, I was trying to avoid information overload while flying. I don't really want climb/descent beeping all the time as I have a fairly low irritation threshold, but altitude and voltage would be nice to play with.

I'm really just trying to familiarise myself with the kit, and then I can use different segments of it depending on whether thermalling, sloping or whatever.

To delete the existing settings, go to the Telemetry page and reset each field to 'Empty', then go through the bind procedure as above.

That should populate the Telemetry page with Temperature, Vario, Altitude,Rx V and Flight Log. (if you want to record the flight data on the SD card for laer examination, you need to enable this under 'File Settings', bottom right of screen.

You can then adjust the parameters for each field by double-clicking on it and setting the menu as you wish. For example, you can reduce the amount of 'descending' tone for Vario by increasing the - value of the 'Sink Report'. Mine is set to -1.6m/s. I have Lift Report set to +0.5m/s to detect small amounts of lift.

I also set Switch in that screen to Switch B and blacking out the 0 and 1 boxes below. Under Channel assign 2nd Screen, Channel input Config, set Aux 2:B. This allows you to switch off the vario lift reports when climbing under power (if it's a leccy glider) if you set Switch B to position 2. You can set a Custom Voice Event for this by setting Switch B to 'On, On, Off'. Once you're at height, switch from Off to On and you'll get the vario tones when you need them.

In the Altitude menu, leave the Status and Warning Reports at 'Inh' if you don't want them reporting on a regular basis. I set my altitude notification on ther push-button 'I' switch by using a Switch Change Report under Custom Voice Setup. Set Swiotch to 'Switch I', Pos 0: Altitude; Pos 1: Silence.

This isn't necessarily going to solve the altitude reporting issue but it will make for a quieter life!teeth 2

Pete

Pete, thanks for that long post.

I have emptied the fields and done a rebind, and now I'm get an altitude voice alert, which is good.

The rest of it I'm struggling with atm, and will have another go tomorrow when I'm hopefully a bit 'brighter.

I'll come back with progress report then, and will probably need a bit more guidance.Cheers.

OK, I've managed to set a lot of the switching and voice stuff as per your post, Pete, I really appreciate your help. I'm a bit slow finding my way aroung the menus, but I'll get there. I'll leave things as they are now until I can do a test flight. I'll print off your post and take it with me in case I want to alter settings at the field.

Thanks again. Geoff.

I'm glad you've been able to follow them. Don't worry, you're not alone- I really don't find programming the Tx an intuitive process - you wouldn't believe how much Googling and time it takes for me to set up a model..... even after a few years owning the DX9embarrassedteeth 2

Pete