Martin`s Lancaster 81"

Martin  McIntosh

I dusted my Lanc down yesterday, ran the motors up and did a lot of servo 'waggling' to check things still worked, well it has probably been nearly a year since I last flew it.

Did the same with my Vulcan the day before that. Still a lot of dust to move to find what else in my 'hangar' needs reviving.

Better weather must be coming, at least I hope it is, as I am at the age where cold weather is for sitting indoors wink

lanc (40).jpg

Ray.

Thanks for your kind comments everyone. I must admit that the Dambusters theme was going through my mind at the time.

I have a Hobbyking one and the rudder mix is more than this one so I am now thinking of at least 50% because the total rudder travel is quite minimal. Adding extra rudder throughout the flight gave good turns.

Just measured the batteries and after a 3 minute flight have 82% left in 5200` Multistars.

• 1 month later...

I have now completed three flights with this.

On the second I decided on a power off landing - ran out of up elevator resulting in a couple of broken props and a stripped u/c cam. Replaced the retracts with metal centred ones (even more of a forward cg) and tried again, this time using the flaps. Bingo. No pitching whatsoever with the flaps deployed and a very slow landing.

Extra aileron to rudder mix works a treat.

• 4 months later...

Hi Martin,

I am in the process of building a 102" span Lanc and will (sadly) be putting electric motors in it. I have read a few threads about extending motor, ESC or battery wires so was wondering what you did? I guess there must be long wires somewhere with your batteries in the fuselage?

Hope your Lanc is still going strong.

Rob

• 6 months later...

Thought that I had previously told my tale of woe about this when it got shot down last year at a fly-in when three of us came to grief within seconds of each other. Anyway, the cowls and nose were wiped off along with a lot of tail damage but I pieced all the tiny bits back together with lots of effort.

Took it to the field for taxiing trials a couple of weeks ago which showed up a minor u/c fault.

The motors were upgraded from 800kv to 900kv which increased the draw by each from 16A to 19A.

Perfect conditions today with the light wind straight down the newly mown patch so no more excuses again.

Take off and turn down wind was fine, but as it was coming past there was a sudden awful noise from it. I cut the motors and realised that I still had control but needed to open them again to make it back. It dawned on me that I had lost a motor and came in at a steep bank then levelled out for a hardish landing which only resulted in a slightly bent u/c pin. One motor had no prop. blades left and had shaken itself off the mount.

Probably due to lousy weak HK props which were OK on the original motors but could not find any other three bladers which were suitable. May be forced to fit two blade props. next time.

Had to go for a pint afterwards to calm my nerves but at least it lives again.

• 3 years later...

Just an update. I got some stronger props but the thrust was useless. After covid I decided that two blade ones would be much more efficient so got some APC style E ones from AliExpress for £1.50 each. Unfortunately the spinners I bought would not fit that style of prop and I was concerned that the lack of alloy ones would shift the cg back too much but no problem in the end.

Static thrust is now very strong so took it up today. Pylon racer like take off but I can now fly round on half throttle comfortably. No problems and a slow landing was achieved with full flap. Quite chuffed.

• Like 3