How I made my wing bags

cymaz

I have been writing up a thread which started as asking if anyone had any experience with EME 120cc engines. This quickly turned into a Mr Mulligan renovation thread.

Anyhow, I wanted to make some wing bags for the Mulligan. Rather than tack it onto the original thread I thought I would start a new one, which might make it easier to find.

I bought the aluminium coated bubble wrap ( really loft/wall insulation) from ebay, along with the silver gaffer tape( any colour its up to you) and hook and loop tape. Total cost about £20-25.

Here's the rough guide......

Cut off a length leaving a good margin for measuring, cutting and top flap

lay it out flat.jpg

size up the wing.jpg

I traced around the wing and then measured out 3" for a good hem.

3 inch overlap.jpg

Using some off cut upholstery foam cut to about 3mm. I used hot glue to tack the edges and foam. Its quick and easy. Sticks well but my goodness is it hot and the heat transfer through the ali sheet is quick when its pressed hard against the foil. Also mind your fingers...the hot glue hurtsface 3

hot glue foam.jpg

Gather up the ends around the wing tip. Cut some slots and tack the loose flaps...

gather end up.jpg

Keep the pressure on until the glue sets (WATCH YOUR FINGERSface 14)

Using clamps to keep the edges folded over tack the top layer...

top overlay.jpg

Tack all the way up and cut slots for the wing struts...if you have any.

strut pocket.jpg

strut pocket 2.jpg

Once the two sides are tacked up turn it over with the wing still in the bag and loosely attach the loose sides with gaffer tape. Not too tight, some wiggle room is needed.

turn over and tack.jpg

Then add more tape and cover all the edges, seams et

gaffer tape top edge.jpg

With my wing the covering was cut to make room for the struts and a pocket was made for the lower fixing

strut pocket.jpg

Reinforce all the inside foam and seems where possible...

inside finished.jpg

For a first attempt and designing on the go, there was very little waste party. Any long off cuts were used for the strut pocket

offcut waste.jpg

The idea in the end was to have some edge protection using the foam and, of course, if you don't have wing struts it is easier to lay the top sheet on. 

Edited By cymaz on 22/03/2017 16:26:59

Edited By cymaz on 22/03/2017 16:29:04

Advert

Good thread Cymaz. I have been making these for ages. The chaps at LMMGA joke that there must be no more insulation sheet left in Wickes at Macclesfield where I sourced mine. My method is very similar but with the following variations which come from trial and error (I must have made about 20 of them all told.

1. I started with Gaffer Tape but moved onto Duck Tape which is stickier and can be torn easily.
  2. I use Duck Tape on the inside as well as the outside of the seams which stops the wings etc sticking to the tape on the outside.
  3. I try to make the bag in one piece to carry each glider wing, with the fuselage in the middle of the fold, and tailplane pockets on the outside. I also put wing joiners in the same pockets. I accept this is only possible for carrying gliders in view of their size.
  4. I have a separate pocket for my ballast slugs.
  5. I tape on 2 carrier handles so the whole thing can be picked up.
  6. When at the slope I take the parts out of the bag and use it to sit or kneel on, so as to avoid wet patches on the trousers!
  7. I also use Velcro to tape everything shut. Sticky Velcro comes off all the time in cold weather and sewed on tape and Velcro is better. I just can't persuade she who must be obeyed to do the necessary sewing, so I get through a lot of Velcro. Thankfully I have a friend in the trade who gives me offcuts.
  8. Keith jokes that I can throw one together in 5 minutes, but it is really quick, and it is better if you are sloppy and leave extra room.
  9. They help a lot when carrying 3 gliders up a hill in a howling gale!

A hot glue gun works ok as well. I've got a few wing bags that are a few years old now and the alloy foil started to stain the wings and anything else they touch. Might be the glow fuel residue I missed cleaning off the plane after a session.

I keep looking for somthing else other than foil and cheap that I can use.